0-60 time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

0-60 time

James

Reaction score
When they test the 0-60 time of explorers, do they test the 4dr or the 2dr. Wouldn't the 2dr be faster then the 4dr. And also wouldn't it matter about the gearing. the 0-60 for the 95 explorer is 10.5 seconds. But I have a 2dr. I have a high gear though 3.07. But, I outran a Eclipse the other day. Isn't there a device that shecks the 0-60 time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried to outran a Maxima yesterday but my wife was with me and said NO! So far only a Celica & Diamante. Dead Link Removed

------------------
NY State of Mind

there is a thing called G-tech i think you can find it in the sport compact mags or muscle car mags of some sort. its like 130 bux though it tells you 0-60 times and 1/4 mile time and the g's that you pull on corners and on take off. my buddy has on on his new T.A and damn that thing will haul some a$$ . just for the info. LATER

Per the July '97 issue of Car and Driver... 0-60 in 7.9, 0-100 in 26.1, quarter mile in 16.2 @ 84mph, Top speed 106 (governed), Braking 70-0 in 231 feet. These numbers are for a 98 Sport 4.0L SOHC with the 4.10 rear end.

Thanks, I wished I had a SOHC. I have a 95 sport with a OHC and a 3.07 rear end! On top of that I am running 30's A/T's. Mine used to shut off at about 108mph. Now since my speedometer is screwed, it shuts off at about 112mph. Because the bigger tires causes a 4 mph change at that speed. I wished I wqas smart enough to buy a SOHC. I have grown wiser about what options I pick next time. I would get a 3.55-3.73 rear-end too.

My wife got me the G-Tech Pro for Christmas. It measures 0-60 time and distance, 1/4 mile time, 60 - 0 breaking distance, g-force and lateral G's. It cost bout $130.00 and is worth every penny. It is an invaluable tool to determine if a modification you made helps or hurts your speed.
You can find out more at:
Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

My 1/4 mile is 13.6 at 105 mph. That's stock unmodified. But it's my 98 Trans Am. It's hard for me to think power in my 94 XLT when I have that other rocket at home. But if you really want to Know, go to a local Drag Strip on a "Test & Tune" night. It usually cost about 20 bucks and they should have your 1/4 mile times as well as several other measurments down the track. The G-tech is really good for relative comparisons but the track is the way to test. My T/A gets twice the gas milage too. However, the rocks I can climb in my exlporer more than make up for it's lack of speed. have fun testing.

Rob Robertson
McKinney TX

That's pretty good, but there's a 4-wheeler that can go faster than that. My moms Mustang GT goes pretty good. It was raced against a real dragster, one with a jet engine! The mustang lost by 1 second. And they started at the same time. It is totally stock as far as we know. It is an automatic, but with bark tires at 70mph when the gas is stomped and it jumps back down to drive. It is an 86 model with T-tops. I've never seen another one with t-tops.

James, Your Mom's car sounds awsome. BTW, My T/A has 2.73 gears in back so the 13.6 is really good for that car. I Road Race it so turns are my main thing. There's always someone faster too.

Have you done any trails in your explorer yet? Let's race our Explorers ; )

Rob

Since you guys are all braggin about what cars you beat, I thought I'll just add my own list. New 2 dr cherokee sport, honda civic, new 2 dr explorer sport, mustang (and he had inside lane on a corner), and various others not really worth mentioning.
Keep it movin

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Lets talk apples to apples here. I havent met a ch**y blazer that I cant beat off the line. Jeep cherokees, never. Toyota 4 runner tried to race me once, we both stomped it when the light turned green. I heard a loud clunk come from him. He had to be towed to a garage. Now I wont race a 4 runner. I feel bad when the owners have to fix something just because they think they can beat me Dead Link Removed

I ran my truck at the drags and came out with
an e/t of 16.77@79.90mph. Not very impressive, but I was proud of myself.

Luke, what are the specs on yours? Just curious.

-Joe-

so what are you guys driving cause there is no way my 92' can beat hardly anything off the line, i mean the horse power is just not there...

Gofast, I haven't really done any trails. Were I live at there are no trails. I climb hills in mine. I only problem is I keep dragging the bottom. One time I made it to the very top of this huge hill, it went straight up at the very top. I just spun, so I backed back down a little and went a little faster, I spun again. But, I didn't back down. I went even faster. The bottom of my explorer bounced on the rocks like a basketball, but hey I made it up Dead Link Removed I haven't seen anything that my explorer won't go up. The only thing stopping it ground clearance. I dont' take it out in thte mud because my dad doesn't know that I do this ind of stuff, he'd kill me. So I keep as much mud off it as possible. Me and my brother race all the time. We tie on take off, but on the interstate, like I found out today, I totally outrun him. I have a 3.07 rear end, he has a 3.73. That's why. I stayed beside a Plymouth Neon Sport. It had about 170hp he said. He did an air box modification. I stayed beside him until my explorer shifted into second gear at about 50mph, then he ran off and left me.

Ok, I have to admit that I did loose one very sad race Dead Link Removed It was to an 85 J**P. Im sorry guys but since then I have changed my truck and I WILL race him in the spring and then we'll see!!

Woohoo #100

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

J**ps are pretty fast. We had a 70-something model. It had a 304 V8 with a racing cam and high lift headers. It's been through a mud hole so deep that mud was coming onto the hood and it pulled right through. It had what I think was 33's on it. Anyway, it would stay beside my moms Mustang GT from take-off. It was a 3 speed. I also think that it had some kind of after market headers on it too. We sold it, that guy sold it to a kid. The kid ran over a stump, busted a hole in the oil pan, then decided to drive it to town. The engine Blew up. Then the kid tried to get his money back from the guy that sold it to him. The eingine was the best part of that j**p.

Whats all this talk about J**ps? I know my uncle has a V8 grand which is quite quick, but I just drive his 280 hp 99 siverado, whoa why isnt my explorer like that? I mean my car is pretty quick. It beat my friends 98 durango (lifted 5 in. 32's not regeared) off the line, but that was when my car was not lifted. I was proud of ol bessy, she has done good in her day especially against the intimatdating V8 in the Dango. Ha ha ha matt, we smoked you! But my friend robert has a j**p commanche SPORtruck, its so fast! what the heck its a frecking 1900 j**p~! Its weird, but in the end my car runs his car over so i win. Peace out you little dragsters

Kial

I have never been able to beat a Grand Cherokee, but I can stay close. As for Eclipses, there is only one car I have driven that is slower than an Eclipse (and not by much) and that is a Geo Spectrum with a 3 cyl engine. Now the turbocharged Eclipses are a diffrent story, faster than the stock Explorer (still not by much) but they are not as common as you think. So, if you find yourself head to head with an Eclipse go ahead and show him a real man's vehicle....of course all he'll see of it is the BACK Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whenever a drunkk ran over me, and my explorer was getting fixed for a month and a half. I rented a sunfire. I wasn't a GT, but I raced a eclipse RS, and he ran off a left me. My brother is buying a 97 eclipse GS-T convertible. He said that it is very fast. And that it might outrun a Camaro. Does anybody have one of these. Does the T stand for turbo? The GS model is the model right below thr RS model. He is buying it for a little over $17,000.

Back