“Bulletproofing” a 5R55S?

Chr0nicT

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey!
I got a V8 explorer recently with a 5R55S. The vehicle has about 100k miles on the dash. What maintenance should be recommended for this? I’m going to do the regular filter and fluid change but what preventative maintenance should I do to this to avoid the transmission blowing?
The vehicle is equipped with a *small* stock cooler as of right now.

thank you!

Hey!
I got a V8 explorer recently with a 5R55S. The vehicle has about 100k miles on the dash. What maintenance should be recommended for this? I’m going to do the regular filter and fluid change but what preventative maintenance should I do to this to avoid the transmission blowing?
The vehicle is equipped with a *small* stock cooler as of right now.

thank you!
Do you have any maintenance history on it previous? Perhaps transmission fluid replace? It wouldn't hurt to install a high quality cooler up front. More evidence of condition will be revealed when you remove the pan. Check fluid quality, look for debris. If the transmission seems to function properly, no slippage and eng. revving during any shift, it probably won't "blow" given reasonable driving care. Don't expect a transmission in it's "old age" to perform like a brand new one.

Back