01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Hello,
Been a while since i was really active, but i just dug out my explorer and took it in for some service. I was getting a hum sound from the front driveline. ALso noticed a pinion seal leak. First they call me and say the pinion seal is leaking, the right wheel bearing is humming, and the left axle shaft is binding up. Thats $750 for all. Then i tell them to just do the pinion for now. Well, they call me later and say they found excessive play in the front pinion shaft and my bearings are going out. Then they say in the oil is metal shavings and my front axle is grinding itself to oblivion. They want like $2,200 to rebuild the axle and replace the other parts listed before. First off i have never heard of a front diff in a 2001 failing unless it is adused. I have 138K, and i hardly offroaded with this truck. MOst of th emiles are highway, some with towing. Could my 2" torsion twist cause this? or the 32" tires or is this pretty rare?

Also how tough is dropping the axle and just sticking in an axle from a salvage yard? I just did all 4 ball joints so I had most of the suspention apart, so I could probably figure out the diffy.

I don;t have $2,200 but i don;t want to blow out the diffy totally, so any pointers are helpful!

you can get new axle shafts on e-bay for 50 bux i have one in garage for just in case, and it looks to be good quality

search explorer axle shaft
explorer front axle

Back