'01 AWD Tranny Issue/ Rolls in Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 AWD Tranny Issue/ Rolls in Park

ggomez2

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6
Hello everyone,

I searched around a bit, but didn't find much regarding this issue I'm currently having.
Stock 2001 AWD Explorer, 122~k miles on it, occasionally won't start in park. I then have to move it over to neutral to start it. On rare occasions, I'll throw it in park and it feels like it could roll continuously if it wasn't for a parking stone.

I just got a torx set so I can tighten the two bolts that hold the shifter within the column, but am worried that it may be something else? I noticed the shifter cable terminates at an electrical device/harness. Is this what controls the transmission?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rolling in park: did you remove the front driveshaft? this is COMMON

not starting in park: my dad's old 94 F150 does something similar. it's an interlock problem in the column

2nd gen AWD model rolling in PARK is caused by any of three things:

Damaged pawl in transmission
Bad viscous coupler in transfer case
Removal of front driveshaft

Your starting problem is caused by broken or loose Transmission Range Sensor, which is bolted on the side of the transmission. Could also be caused by poor electrical connection or damaged wiring in harness going to the TRS.

Driveshaft is in place. I did notice last time the car rolled, it seemed to sound like it was latching, then locked in place after maybe rolling 12-15 inches.

Truck completely stock, so driveshaft is in place.

Any other signs that indicate these two things?

sounds like a trans issue, the viscous coupler wouldnt click

just thought some more about it, it sounds like your shifter isnt going into park all the way

It's possible that the linkage from the shift to the tranny is out of wach.
That would explain why you get both the non-start in park and the roll.
The sound of latching is probably the park pin in the tranny not all the way in place.
Again, a sign that your not really getting the tranny fully into PARK.

Driveshaft is in place. I did notice last time the car rolled, it seemed to sound like it was latching, then locked in place after maybe rolling 12-15 inches.

Truck completely stock, so driveshaft is in place.

Any other signs that indicate these two things?

Clicking noise would be the pawl slipping.

A failed viscous coupler would mean no power to the front wheels.

It's possible that the linkage from the shift to the tranny is out of wach.
That would explain why you get both the non-start in park and the roll.
The sound of latching is probably the park pin in the tranny not all the way in place.
Again, a sign that your not really getting the tranny fully into PARK.

This. Sounds like you need to adjust the shifter cable.

I have had this problem as well. I had trouble starting in park once and had to adjust the range sensor to fix it. Because you are also having problems shifting into park, it is likely not the range sensor, but the cable itself as others have said. Even after adjusting the sensor, I had once instance almost a year later where it would not start in park and I had to start it in neutral. The issue was a one time thing. It just started working again after that.

The adjustment for the cable is down on the transmission. There is a little clip that you can pop out and then slide to adjust the length of the cable housing.

Back