• Register Today It's free!

01+ engine in '98

sicktight772

Reaction score
City, State
columbia & Effingham, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport 4x4
Hello, I have searched the forums but can not get a clear answer. I have a '98 4.0L SOHC 4x4 explorer and it seems like its going to be cheaper to drop another engine in than fix all the issues with it (timing chain, guides, thermostat housing, etc). I have read that the 01and newer 4.0L SOHC engines are better (have the better timing components, etc) and that I will also need one that have the balance shaft on it because it is 4x4. Here is where the questions come. Does the 01+ 4.0L SOHC engines from the Explorers and Rangers simply drop in (same plug-ins, hoses, etc)? I've also read that the Ranger's engines didn't have balance shaft, could one be added, or is it not really necessary? If its not necessary then would a mustang 4.0L work, given I switch everything over, would it still have all the same wiring and sensors?

Any help yall could give me will be great. I really just want it back on the road.
Thanks, John

ok, so another question. I'm looking into redoing the timing chains/guides some more and seems like the prices on these parts have came down a lot compared to some of the other posts on the forum. But maybe I'm missing some things. To do all of the timing chains, Guides, etc, would these parts be all I needed?

Lower Tensioner (rear)
Rear Jackshaft Plug
Jackshaft Chain/Tension Kit
Timing Cassette Rear
Timing Cassette Front
Front Cover gasket

I already have the 00M12 kit which has the intake gaskets and upper tensioner, also already have the valve cover gaskets and I have read that the oil pan gasket can be reused.

Also, when I type in part number found in another post, for the Cassettes I find that I get a bunch of different parts under the "mechanical Catalog" and this under the "OEM catalog" :cassette assy, left - 4.0l

Am I correct in assuming that this is the whole kit and not just a single part. I also have a 4wd, is there any kit for the balance shaft chain and tensioner?

Back