98 4.0 Sohc - 01 4.0 Sohc Differences???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0 Sohc - 01 4.0 Sohc Differences????

tjb

Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie and need help ASAP. I have a 1998 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0l sohc engine, well the motor is toast as of today. After calling all around I found a complete 4.0l sohc engine from a 2001 explorer 4x4 with 17,000 miles from a roll over, the yard that has it says it will drop right in, but the mechanic shop says it is not a drop in, that 2001 is a different engine. Does anyone know for a fact the differences between 98-00 4.0l sohc and the 01 sohc engines both from explorer 4x4's? Is this a drop in and go or what will I need for this to work????? help ASAP I have the engine on hold until Monday. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My assumption is that the are the same. If there are any changes, it will be minor and will be mostly in the accessories. The mounts should be the same.

The fuel system will be different. In 99 it was switched to returnless.
The fuel injectors will not fit the harness
Ouuu thanks for that info! Thats one more thing I learned today :D

can i swap the fuel system from my 98 and just use everything else from the 2001? is this a hard swap cause the mileage is real nice?

Back