01 power windows intermediatly not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 power windows intermediatly not working

greenbeer

Another day, Another dent
Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
01 power windows intermittently not working

In the past few days all my windows sometimes do not work. After messing with the drivers door buttons, they start to work until I turn off the truck and leave it sitting for a few hours. When they are not working, I can still hear a relay clicking under the dash on the drivers side when I hit the button. Also, when they are not working, all the switches on all the doors do nothing. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should take a look at the fuses, maybe there is a short in the line and a fuse didn't blow or something, but it is just melted.

its not a fuse problem... fuses don't heal themselves. lots of posts... likely cause is bad battery saver relay... check it with a meter.

Where is this relay located? Just out of curiosity, this is the relay that shuts down the system after having just the key on for a certain amount of time, correct? How would this cause my problem with the engine running?

I should also say that I did do a search and what I found was other people having problems with the windows, interior lights, sunroof, wipers, etc all at the same time. Mine is just windows.

I don't know.... :) maybe it isn't working with your key on... ???? :) that's what the meter is for.... and the "lots of posts".

It may very well be the main blue/black wire, it sometimes gets cut/crimped etc. in the door jamb area. See if you can test that main wire while the problem is occurring. The LF door panel would need to come off to check the switch area. If you can make the voltage check fail then, and come back like you say it has, I'll bet on that wire. There are a couple of other possibilities, but that seems the most common. To get into the door jamb connector, it takes a 10mm socket just like a PCM connector. Good luck,

Back