• Register Today It's free!

01 Ranger 4.0 Timing Fun

Tulchas

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa.Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger Edge
Hi I'm Charlie and I'm looking to vent (Lol) Nah just wanting to talk to some other Ford owners about the Timing Chain Issues in the 4.0 and The Tips and Tricks to make it better.

Welcome to the forum Charlie. I have a 2000 Ranger with the 4.0 OHV, but my wife's 99 Explorer Sport has the 4.0 SOHC & it rattles on start up when the engine is cold. I replaced the hydraulic timing chain tensioners & it seemed to help it a little. It still rattles a little on cold start up, what I do sometimes when I start it cold I will crank it but not let it start, doing that 3 or 4 times will almost eliminate any rattle. Here are a few links to give you some reading material on the subject.
How to: - SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure
SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga
cruzroycruzroy64
4.0 sohc timing chain rattle - everything you need to know - Ford Ranger Forum
Check out post #-6 in the last link he has a you tube video that I used when I replaced the hydraulic tensioners on my wife's 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC./

I appreciate the links. Unfortunately I don't have any Fords anymore but have owned and enjoyed them all my life, I'm helping my buddy with his 01 Ranger Edge right now and he has sunk a lot of money to no avail. His first mechanic just royally screwed him over. He bought a used engine and they changed it out, didn't hook up half of it back up ,he made it about 3 miles before it sounded as bad or worse than original. He hired another guy to rebuild and reinstall original engine and now he is spinning out and hasn't even got the engine pulled yet. I'm trying to help him but I just was asked to work out of town for a month and a half, I wish I knew someone to help him. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Back