• Register Today It's free!

01 sport trac stalls while idling

jcothren

Reaction score
City, State
cabot, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
:(Almost every time I stop at a stop light my sport trac dies. I replaced the IAC two weeks ago and it did not fix the problem. The engine light has not come on but I went ahead and took it to my local ford dealership last Friday and they recommended I change the fuel pump. They gave me a $900 estimate to "maybe" fix it. They said they are 90% sure this will fix the problem. Is there another way to check the fuel pump before replacing it?

I still think it has something to do with the IAC. Please give advise. The truck runs great and only stalls once the rpms go to 400 or so

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What were the codes? Where did you buy the IAC? I went through 3 Auto Zone IACs before I got one that worked. Also if you are having lean codes I would clean the MAF before you replace the fuel pump and you may want to check fuel pressure also.

Got it from Auto Zone. Ford dealership completed EEC test and found no codes present. It states on there estimate that system leans out before stalling.

I am thinking on buying another IAC. I've read to many discussions about that being the main problem and maybe trying another one will fix it. As I stated, the only problem is while idling, other than that, the truck runs great and doesn't do any kind of missing.

Does it stall with or without the AC/DEFROST on or both?

It doesn't matter if the ac/heat is on or off, it will stall once the engine warms up and it idles down between 400-800 rpms. As long as the truck is moving it will run fine but once it goes idle for a minute or longer the engine will start to stall and die.

I really would hate to put money into a fuel pump and that not be the problem.

This might be a far shot but i had a similar thing happen to me. I would have my truck wormed up and it would idle sloppy and cut out. Check your anertia switch witch is located under your glove compartment. when i couldnt find out what it was i took it to my mechanic and when he was rooting around he found out that the anertia switch was not on tight and that it was loose so when it idles it would not miss fire but sloppy idle. and after awhile it would just cut and there was one time it died all together
i have an 03 sport trac.

Back