'02 4.0l V6 oil filter adapter o-ring doesnt fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 4.0l V6 oil filter adapter o-ring doesnt fit

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: Replacing the o-rings on the oil filter adapter in my '02 4.0l v6. The old o-ring that seals the adapter to the block was red in color and fit the square groove of the adapter just fine.

The "new" Ford o-ring is black in color, p/n 3L2Z-6L621-AA and is too small to fit the groove.

The o-ring p/n came from TSB 04-19-10. Which mentions that the adapter is to be replaced (also) due to........porosity.

I'm wondering if the diameter of the o-ring groove on the referenced adapter (in the TSB) is different that then "earlier" adapters that used the red o-ring.

ANyione have a likewise "issue"?

Old o-ring.jpg

New o-ring.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the diameter of the O-ring grove on the oil filter adapter? The only O-ring I see on-line is 26.5 mm. I checked 2001, 2002 and 2003 ST's, various sources. 26.5 mm seems awfully small compared to you photo.

Morninig Koda2000. 26.5mm is about a inch. I have seen this same number mentioned on the 'net. I bet it references one of 2 of the o-rings that go around the bolt. I picked up a Felpro red colored o-ring p/n 72884. Fits into the adapter groove just fine although its cross-sectional diameter is .010 ish smaller than the Ford o-ring I have.

Showed the wife the 'issue" with the black Ford o-ring....... She took it and whamo-bamo rolled it right into the groove.

Being that its abit larger in cross-sectional diameter I'm wondering if I should use it.

What o-ring have you used in the past?

My adapter has this p/n on it: 1L2E6884BD. Diffwerent than the one listed in the TSB (3L2Z6881BA)

T

I haven't had to change one yet, but I'd go with the thicker black O-ring because I'd think it would seal better. Don't forget to put some Vaseline on the O-ring before installation and make sure not to pinch a edge.

If I recall correct I had to stretch and roll it into the groove.

Got everything back together. Waiting for the replacement MotorCraft Radiator to show up and then get it installed.
I went with the FelPro 72884 o-ring after checking out the specs on that o-ring on the FelPro site. I measured the cross-section incorrectly (rubber and a caliper) as the FP site lists the c/s diameter as .141" which is about the same as the black Ford o-ring. This Felpro part just seemed to lay into the o-ring groove better.

Did some searching on the 'net about this situation and apparently there was/is a RED SQUARE o-ring that (may) fit into the square sided o-ring groove of the adapter. Its Ford p/n FOTZ-6l24-A (check out E-bay with this number) Also a BLACK SQUARE o-ring E3ZZ-6L621-A. I found that the SVO Mustang owners of the mid-80's are frequently talking about these SQUARE o-rings as the SQUARE ones are used on their oil filter adapters also.

While at www.oemford.parts I found that the adapter listed in TB 04-19-10 (3L2Z-6881-BA) is ONLY listed to be used on '05,06,07 and later S/T's

AND that the adapter on the 03 and earlier used F77Z-6881-AA. The ONLY o-ring listed (for all years) ii the 3L2Z-6L621-AA

I'm trying to find out if the later adapters feature a "rounded" side o-ring groove instead of the "square" sided o-ring groove many of us (myself) have seen. By trade I'm in aviation and any round C/S o-ring I've used always fit into a "round" sided groove. Like wise for "square" C/S o-rings.

Crossing fingers (long term) that my oil leak is "fixed".

Got everything back together..... NO leaks.

I recently did mine too and replaced it with the black o ring listed on rockauto. Still has a slight leak tho, i might try the red fel pro one you listed. Dont remember noticing if the housing had a square or round groove though. I did remember not feeling great about the fit of the replacement gasket.

frankcal. Hope that you don't have ANY leakage from the adapter area. Its a PITA to access the o-ring. I've got about 400 miles on my "repair' and so far...so good. All is dry.

The adapter groove is definitely a "square" groove. Seems odd for a "round" (diameter) o-ring to fit into. BUT... while working on a helicopter this past week (I'm a mechanic by trade) I found that a oil filter canister also had a "square" groove machined into it to which a "round" o-ring was placed. Just something I never questioned.

If/when I have oil leakage from this adapter I think I will fabricate a "square" o-ring from viton rubber sheet stock.

Fellows: Replacing the o-rings on the oil filter adapter in my '02 4.0l v6. The old o-ring that seals the adapter to the block was red in color and fit the square groove of the adapter just fine.

The "new" Ford o-ring is black in color, p/n 3L2Z-6L621-AA and is too small to fit the groove.

The o-ring p/n came from TSB 04-19-10. Which mentions that the adapter is to be replaced (also) due to........porosity.

I'm wondering if the diameter of the o-ring groove on the referenced adapter (in the TSB) is different that then "earlier" adapters that used the red o-ring.

ANyione have a likewise "issue"?

View attachment 156733

View attachment 156734

The o-ring that came with the front cover oil seal kit is rounded but too big for the groove. I'm guessing it will fall in the groove when I tighten the mount bolt.
If it leaks, I use the old one with some sealant as it didn't leak. Felpro made in China now...

Rubber o-rings will seal any groove if it isn't pinched in some way that leads to a failure there. It's best if they shapes match, definitely. But if they don't then it mainly affects the shape of the o-ring later, when it is loosened up and the thought to reuse it comes up.

Case in point, the Lincolns with air springs throughout the 80's and 90's, plus the CV and GM's etc, all had large o-rings used in air solenoids. Those solenoids are the main ON/OFF switch for air to get in and out of the springs. You've seen such cars driving down the road almost touching the ground. The air springs are empty in those, the owner hasn't kept up the maintenance of the air connections, or the bags, or both. The o-rings number almost 20 in those vehicles. The large solenoid o-rings have to fit into an oblong slot which deforms the o-rings slightly. They can be reused, sometimes, but when taken out they have a short section which is curved a bit, with a pinched edge along it. That will often not seal properly, depending on how it's fitted back into position.

I've bought those block adapter o-rings before, both from Ford, and Rock Auto, plus a couple from some parts store. They are difficult to locate, but if the diameter and thickness are about right, they should work fine. Regards,

I wonder why FORD didn't use a "square" o-ring similar to the oil filter o-ring? And the torque on the thru-bolt is about 40 pounds.....waaaay over what i tighten my oil filter.

Can we agree that this area is/has been an leakage prone point on alot of Fords? If so you would have thought a "better idea" would have evolved.

Back