SOHC Oil Filter Adapter O-Rings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Oil Filter Adapter O-Rings

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Does anyone know if the SOHC and OHV share the same o-rings for the oil filter adapter. I found the part numbers for the OHV but couldn't find ones for the SOHC engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Fel-Pro full SOHC upper and lower engine gasket kit came with the oil filter adapter o-rings. I got the kit through Summit and I think they listed the part numbers for everything included. I believe there were 3 separate O-rings for the adapter and it's bolt. The Fel-Pro number for the full kit was 2601898, maybe you can read the individual part numbers on the box..

RockAuto shows FEL-PRO ES73131. The picture looks right, but the description doesn't... ?
Complete mounting set; Oil cooler mounting seal, oil filter adapter mounting seal, oil filter adapter mounting bolt seal incl.

Does the 1997 4.0 OHV and the SOHC share the same Motorcraft FL1A oil filter?

Does the 1997 4.0 OHV and the SOHC share the same Motorcraft FL1A oil filter?

My '97 SOHC used the SAE 3/4" FL1A filter, but the newer SOHC's use the 22mm metric filter (FL820s). I would assume the '97 SOHC and OHV used the same oil filters.

Thanks Phil, It seems like I ask every time I need to change the oil in my Blue one...

Thanks Phil, It seems like I ask every time I need to change the oil in my Blue one...

I don't remember why there are 3 O-rings on the adapter, but as I recall there was one large black one that fits into a square-profile channel on the engine block, a small black one that goes on the hollow bolt (getting the old bolt O-ring off required breaking it into small pieces because it was hard as a rock and brittle) and there's was a fairly large red/orange O-ring that goes somewhere (maybe under the bolt head?). When I went to reinstall my oil filter adapter I recall one of the O-rings was a very tight fit. This initially concerned me, but greasing all the O-rings and mating surfaces with Vaseline allowed them to slip into their locations while the bolt was screwed in and I've have no leaks to-date (over 2 months and 1000+ miles).

FEL-PRO ES73131 is a perfect fit per O'Reilly's. However, I had the o-ring kit for the OHV and they are the same identical size as the SOHC. The bolt o-ring was a little tight but was able to fit into place, same for the large o-ring. Use some vaseline or synthetic lube to soak the o-rings before installing them to avoid tearing them and ease installation. Had to remove the exhaust manifold to gain access to the adapter but the hole process only took two hours including a new exhaust manifold gasket.

My Fel-Pro full SOHC upper and lower engine gasket kit came with the oil filter adapter o-rings. I got the kit through Summit and I think they listed the part numbers for everything included. I believe there were 3 separate O-rings for the adapter and it's bolt. The Fel-Pro number for the full kit was 2601898, maybe you can read the individual part numbers on the box..

RockAuto shows FEL-PRO ES73131. The picture looks right, but the description doesn't... ?
Complete mounting set; Oil cooler mounting seal, oil filter adapter mounting seal, oil filter adapter mounting bolt seal incl.

There is a 3rd one. They are call oring seals or gaskets. Kinda confusing. 2 Orings are on pot meatal that one 3/4" bolt slides in and attaches it to block. One quarter sized that bolt head seals against
The other is bigger that fits on same pot metaland that seals against the block .The 3rd one is on the aluminum housing that the tube/cylinder slides in . One end of tube has the hex head on it. This where an oil filter is screwed on. The other side has the larger sized oring that has a thin lip on the inner circle of o ring. This lip is tucked in behind 5 metal tabs. It seems tabs are to hold oring in place . There's your 3 seals/ oring/ gaskets

There is a 3rd one. They are call oring seals or gaskets. Kinda confusing. 2 Orings are on pot meatal that one 3/4" bolt slides in and attaches it to block. One quarter sized that bolt head seals against
The other is bigger that fits on same pot metaland that seals against the block .The 3rd one is on the aluminum housing that the tube/cylinder slides in . One end of tube has the hex head on it. This where an oil filter is screwed on. The other side has the larger sized oring that has a thin lip on the inner circle of o ring. This lip is tucked in behind 5 metal tabs. It seems tabs are to hold oring in place . There's your 3 seals/ oring/ gaskets

IMG_20220131_075617064~2.jpg

Back