02 eb explorer 4.6l 4x2 trans error 5r55w | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 eb explorer 4.6l 4x2 trans error 5r55w

jononelson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer
Unable to go past 45mph on road. Hard shifts. Attempted to clear/read codes with scanners with no luck. When I start the vehicle it revs to about 3500 then starts slowing down the engine until it gets to about 2000rpm. Cat was rattling, so I gutted both of them and reinstalled exhaust. When o2 sensor is removed from driver side, then engine will rev out to 5000rpm no problem. Previous owner stated they removed water and replaced coils and plugs, but only one coil looks new. It doesn't appear to be using coolant, but the oil was 2 quarts low. Was there an issue with a valve letting oil into driver side cat that clogged it? Is this all from the transmission harness having water damage, throwing a code and causing engine to not rev? I ran water in a hot tailpipe to break loose junk in exhaust several times, and it runs a little better. Not fast acceleration, and still bogging sound, but did get up to 80mph. Shifts hard into second and a small clunk into 5th. Reverse when warm hesitates then catches. Even if I cleaned the exhaust more so it revs freely, I have a check transmission light and need to clear the od flashing. Any suggestions?

Removed wire mesh, 3 black rings of mesh, and broken honeycomb from all 3 cats, and it revs and runs fine. Pulled 1788 transmission code which explains the harsh shift into second and 5th. How to just fix it enough to clear the code?

Back