02 explorer stall no crank intermitent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer stall no crank intermitent

nautical

Reaction score
City, State
indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
hi ,hope someone here can help. we have a 02 explorer 4.0 sohc with 136 k intermitent stall then no crank condition.after a stall turn on key no crank no clicks nothing odometer reads ------- can jump solinoid at starter and make it crank but wont fire.after it sets awhile usually starts up fine! also no check engine light.so far I've checked grounds ,battery cables ,changed ignition switch ,transmission range selector,where else should I be looking on this thing thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your no start issue after stalling could be a fuel pump or vapor lock issue. My dad had a dodge daytona that would do the same thing, it would randomly die while driving and wouldn't start for 15 minutes or so. Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? You can hear it on the second gen explorers but i'm not sure if its the same with the third gen explorers. As far as it not wanting to turn over at all i'm not sure what would cause that, my explorer did that yesterday and acted like the battery was dead, but i just tried it 3 or 4 times and it started right back up.

could solder joints in the dash be doing this

02 explorer stall /start problem

thanks for all your help on this one! changed computer had it programed problem went away

My V6 exploder with 165K is doing the same thing, sorta ...

I'll be driving down the road for 20 minutes, stalls ... :roll: ... able to restart it right away ... drive another 2 minutes ... stalls ... restart it ... stalls ... then will drive fine.

Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump (which was going bad anyways) and also the Camshaft sensor.

Someone said it might be the MAF sensor, TPS or IAC.

I'm wondering if it might be the computer ...

My V6 exploder with 165K is doing the same thing, sorta ...

I'll be driving down the road for 20 minutes, stalls ... :roll: ... able to restart it right away ... drive another 2 minutes ... stalls ... restart it ... stalls ... then will drive fine.

Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump (which was going bad anyways) and also the Camshaft sensor.

Someone said it might be the MAF sensor, TPS or IAC.

I'm wondering if it might be the computer ...

will it only stalll when say u idle at a light?...while drive (throtle pressed) will it stay running?....i had sort of the same thing....ur best bet it to have the codes read..but first have them clear the codes and then re-read them ....turned out it was map sensor.....however it could be vaccum leak ...are u experience some loss of top end power?

Back