02 Explorer XLT O/D Flashing Code P0796 -Am I on the right track? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer XLT O/D Flashing Code P0796 -Am I on the right track?

Guam'sBest

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, GA via Tyler, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
02xlt
Hey everyone :salute:
Here's the familiar story. My 2002 Explorer XLT with 133k miles has the flashing O/D dash light and difficulty shifting between the 3rd and 4th shifts. The code displayed is:

P0976
PC
Solenoid C
performance or stuck off

So after searching for similar problems and hoping to spare the forum of a repetitive thread, it looks like I'll be replacing the solenoid block (pack?).
I'll try to give the full picture to save time but if I forget anything just let me know.
First I should say that I'm posting this thread for general advice on the job at hand. I have the '5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement with Photos' thread open and I'll be following it as I work. It looks pretty straight-forward and the difficulty doesn't seem too much. But since I don't have ANY experience with transmissions, I want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot.
Okay here's the deal.
2002 XLT
V6 AT
133K miles
265/70/16 tires
4x2
stock everywhere you look but the tires
Bought it with 116K miles and never really beat it up. One day of some heavy pedal mashing (really about 45 minutes) and wham-o... O/D flashing
It looks like I need to buy a 5R55W solenoid block (pack?) and I would really appreciate some reassurance that this is the right direction and the right part needed.
I found a link (www800700trancom/prod.itml/icOid/159) in one of the threads here and it looks like I can buy the part I need.
Can anybody tell me that this is the solenoid block I need? and will I need anything else? I'm not sure if this is the only part to buy or if it's just piece of the puzzle (a pretty good analogy considering my lack of experience).
Plus I'm hoping for any words of wisdom. :notworthy
I can tackle brakes and oil changes, and I can pump gas on my own now... although I have been the guy standing inside the gas station with the gas pump in hand after driving off with it sticking out of the tank... :crazy:
But transmissions make me nervous. I have the money to swap the solenoid blocks, but not enough to tow the Explorer to a shop and have them correct the FUBAR botched job I started. :roll:
Thanks in advance for anyone taking time to reply.

Hey sorry if the original post was lengthy.
It looks like 15 people have at least looked at the post but no one has commented.

Maybe I sound like an idiot asking but I could really use the help. I need to order the part, today if possible, because I have a little extra time this week and I know it will take overnight to drain the fluid.
Even a simple 'yes' would help. =)
Thanks again.

Back