02 Mountaineer - any good? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Mountaineer - any good?

TNTitan

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and thinking about purchasing my first Ford product (actually a Mercury) and I wanted some input from you guys (the experts).

Our family is getting bigger and we need to carry more stuff and I would like some AWD/4WD capability to handle the occasional snow/ice/flood we get here in Tennessee. I'm paying cash so budget is a big concern. I was looking at Explorers, but the wife really wants leather, and I didn't find a lot of leather equipped Explorers in our price range, but I did happen to find some Mercury Mountaineers.

I am looking at a 2002 Mountaineer with the 4.6 V8 and AWD. Its got 65,000 miles which is really low for the age, and they are asking $10K for it. Its a "premier" edition with leather, 6-disc CD, running boards and towing package. Looks pristine inside and out.

What do you all think about this year and model and is this a good price? Also are there any pitfalls to be concerned about with the 2002 year? Any other concerns or comments?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mountys are the same as explorers, just a few cosmetic differences. 2002 was the beginning of that model. That being said there are more issues that were fixed in 03-05. 10k seems like a little much. In 2007 I bought my 03 2wd v8 with 70,000 miles for 7 grand. Have a reputable mechanic go over it thoroughly and try to get them to let you test drive it for a day or so. Obviously try to talk them down. If it all looked okay, I'd offer 6500 and pay 7000 if they threw in 5 new BFG rugged trails. That's what I did when I bought mine.

Thanks for the advice, Brian. I will certainly request a test drive. Don't know if they will let me take it home w/o buying it.. but I will find a mechanic nearby to look at it, as well as request the Car Fax. I'm thinking $8K is my top dollar if it checks out. Good to know there aren't any burning issues with the 02 Mountaineer to be worried about, beyond being the 1st MY.

Thanks for the advice, Brian. I will certainly request a test drive. Don't know if they will let me take it home w/o buying it.. but I will find a mechanic nearby to look at it, as well as request the Car Fax. I'm thinking $8K is my top dollar if it checks out. Good to know there aren't any burning issues with the 02 Mountaineer to be worried about, beyond being the 1st MY.

Well, I didn't exactly say that. The transmissions in these tend to be a problem. If you can find a local transmission shop to take that to and have it looked at during your test drive, do it.

Also have the mechanic listen to the front timing chain cover. The timing chain guides and tensioners tend to break into pieces and cause a ticking or ratcheting noise.

If it has either one of those, make sure you knock a thousand dollars off the price.

Well, I didn't exactly say that. The transmissions in these tend to be a problem. If you can find a local transmission shop to take that to and have it looked at during your test drive, do it.

Also have the mechanic listen to the front timing chain cover. The timing chain guides and tensioners tend to break into pieces and cause a ticking or ratcheting noise.

If it has either one of those, make sure you knock a thousand dollars off the price.

Great tips, Brian. Thanks for the info. Sorry for "putting words in your mouth"! :)

Is there a recommended mileage-point for these timing chains to be serviced? Any major scheduled overhauls I should try and confirm were done ? (like a 60K maintenance, etc.)

You didn't man, no worries. There's not really a mileage that they go bad. The guides are made of plastic so they tend to wear and break over time. It all depends on the frequency of oil changes, viscosity the oil, et cetera. Im about to replace mine at 170,000. Just have him stick a stethoscope to the timing chain cover and listen for the ticking/rattling. It's a thing you can fix yourself for around $100 if you're mechanically inclined.

You didn't man, no worries. There's not really a mileage that they go bad. The guides are made of plastic so they tend to wear and break over time. It all depends on the frequency of oil changes, viscosity the oil, et cetera. Im about to replace mine at 170,000. Just have him stick a stethoscope to the timing chain cover and listen for the ticking/rattling. It's a thing you can fix yourself for around $100 if you're mechanically inclined.

Fair enough. I'll make sure the mech listens for it. Hopefully at 64K, its still in good shape, but why take a chance. If push comes to shove, I'm sure I can fix it myself. Cant be any worse than changing the timing belt on my 300zx. That was a PIA to do myself!

Fair enough. I'll make sure the mech listens for it. Hopefully at 64K, its still in good shape, but why take a chance. If push comes to shove, I'm sure I can fix it myself. Cant be any worse than changing the timing belt on my 300zx. That was a PIA to do myself!

Idk man, I'll let you know how mine goes.

Bought one just like yours this spring. Mine had 70,000 miles on it. Price in the window was 10K. I got it down to $7,000 out the door. When you show up with money in hand, they will do some major bending on the price.

its all about how well it was taking care of remember it used so u will be fixing it

Bought one just like yours this spring. Mine had 70,000 miles on it. Price in the window was 10K. I got it down to $7,000 out the door. When you show up with money in hand, they will do some major bending on the price.

100% agree. Money talks.

yea.. I think that might be a better idea, esclamada. I called the dealer to setup a time to take a look at it and they said the owner had loaned it to his daughter and the truck is in another state! wtf. they said they would call me when she brings it back. yeeea right.

"Beckys not even HOT!" :thumbdwn:

find another model year higher, they are nice if nothing goes wrong. If you're a DIY-guy probably it doesn't matter as long as it's not the transmission.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

yea.. I think that might be a better idea, esclamada. I called the dealer to setup a time to take a look at it and they said the owner had loaned it to his daughter and the truck is in another state! wtf. they said they would call me when she brings it back. yeeea right.

"Beckys not even HOT!" :thumbdwn:

Shouldn't be too hard to find some decent 2003-2005 Explorers that are loaded in your area in excellent condition. Try to find a low miles Eddie Bauer or Limited edition if you want all the fancies. I'm just over the border from you and I just picked up (last week) a low miles 03 Eddie Bauer fully loaded, all options offered in excellent condition for a good deal.

The nice thing is that it's a really common vehicle, so lots of fish in the sea. I personally like the looks of the Explorer over the Mounty. Certainly more Explorers on the road, so that would make your options out there more plentiful.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Back