• Register Today It's free!

02' Rear Window

refer1

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Exploder 02 XLS
Just noticed this afternoon that my plastic valance on my rear window is starting to separate from the glass, and wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this and what you did to correct it. It's the plastic piece with the Ford emblem.

Thanks in Advance

Rick C. :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed this afternoon that my plastic valance on my rear window is starting to separate from the glass, and wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this and what you did to correct it. It's the plastic piece with the Ford emblem.

Thanks in Advance

Mine cracked in half, like most everyone else's, so I had it replaced 2 weeks ago. Saturday night it started coming loose, so I had to re-attach it using GOOP (which holds MUCH better than the OEM black Urethane adhesive they used to put it on with.

So, I'd suggest using either "Plumber's GOOP" or "Automotive GOOP" (available at Walmart) to re-attach it with, from personal experience.

Plastic Valance On Rear Door

Rick C.

I'm Replying To Your Post About The Plastic Panel On Your Rear Door. It Doesn't Cover The Glass, But Meets It. This Panel W/the Ford Emblem Has Virtually Nothing Underneath It But The Interior Wall Of The Rear Door. I Now Have Two Stress Cracks In My Panel. I Have An '02 Explorer I Bought In '03. In July Of That Year, The First Crack Started To The Left Of The Emblem, Until This Year It Was Only 1/3 Of The Way Down, Now It's All The Way Thru The Panel. Last Week We Developed A 2d Crack, To The Right Of The Emblem All The Way From Top To Bottom. I Have Been Collecting Car Owner's Names And Plate Numbers For About 2 Years Now Of All The Vehicles I Find With Cracks In The Panels, All Of Them Are '02-'05and Mostly On Dark Colored Vehicles. It Is Taking A Longer Time For The Panels On Lighter Vehicles To Crack. They Are Also Appearing On The '02-'05 Mercury Mountaneers And The '02-'05 Lincoln Aviators? Not Sure Of That Model. Anyway, I Have Been Searching Online For Anyone Who Is Having This Problem As It Seems Ford Isn't Willing To Address This Issue. Our Dealer Says Nothing Will Be Done. I Have Several Vehicle Owners Who Have Already Had The Panel Replaced Only To Have The New One Crack. And If You Noticed, The '06 Models Have Been Modified To Have A Full Rear Door W/o The Panel. Imagine That! I'm On A Mission To Petition Ford!!! I Am Compiling My List And Writing Letters. I Thought You Would Find This Interesting. Any Feedback Is Welcomed.
Debbie

Thanks in Advance

I had the3 same problem over a year ago and there are some posts here talking about it.

it was a poor design by ford and these pieces after time seem to seperate from the tailgate. they have to be re-applied and if your careful, you wont have to replace it due to cracking it when taking it off. the cost for them is only $30-50 depending on where you get them, but they come unfinished with only a gray prime on them so you can match them up with the color of your truck which only means another $50-100 for paint/labor and then another $50-100 to have them put it on.

i mentioned before that this should have been a recall since lots of other people with this same truck have had this problem. ford should have at least offered to rep[air it at cost.

Mine cracked serveral years ago. It's a very common problem.

Here is a thread about it

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213757&highlight=cracked+rear+door

I bought a replacement and first glued it on with window adhesive. The adhesive stuck well but pulled the primer off the inside of the panel, so if you are repairing it make sure to sand off the primer on the insider of the panel. Next I tried a roll of 3M emblem adhesive. That didn't last and so now I'm back to 3M urethane window adhesive.

The Ford OEM adhesive is $40 a package that comes in a small two-part unit. It requires a special gun to apply (which Ford doesn't sell) and two packages totaling $80 are required for the panel. I found the Rotunda 501-040 Adhesive Gun but it was about $180 (yikes). The Ford TSM says not to use urethane windshield glue. Anyone know if the windshield urethane adhesive will work?

Eastwood sells a universal gun and adhesive cartridge applicator kit that I am going to try. It's only $39.95.

http://www.eastwood.com/2k-universal-adhesive-and-cartridge-gun-kit.html

When I bought my truck about 3 weeks ago, it was crackless. 142K miles on it.

When I was learning how to operate the hatch window separate from the tail gate, it was fine.

I turned on the rear wiper one day to clean the window of dust and grime. Next day I noticed a 1" crack starting at the top of the plastic.

Two days later, it was completely cracked top to bottom.

So it goes.....

leave it alone, let the panel come off a bit and it wont crack.

The reason the panels crack is because they expand a lot with temperature change. The glue/adhesive that Ford used was too strong, it had no give. So the panel is always under stress until it cracks.

Replacing it with a good quality brand 3M double sided tape is a much better option in my opinion. We all know that stuff is strong, but will allow the panel to expand and contract evenly thus avoiding another crack.

Here's mine in the hot sun... In the shade, its perfectly flat. Its the only reason mine has not cracked... yet :(

IMG_2027.jpg

Back