• Register Today It's free!

02 Transmission noises

4.0SOHC

Reaction score
City, State
Glide, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I was wondering about the sound my 02 X makes when it changes gears. It is a little different than other Autos that I have driven. Kinda of like a whisper / whistle sound just before each shift. You can only hear it if everything in the Truck is off, (air / Cd). I may just be making myself hear things. Oh yeah the X has just a little over 41K on it. Any replys would be great.
One more thing, there isn't anything strange about it's performance. Seems to be working great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 and will have to listen for a Whistle. I didn't notice, but I have noticed how smooth it changes gears and the 5th gear really helps out between 1-3 with smaller jumps up.

Just curious, did you have 30k mile service on the tranny? Did they change the fluid out for you? My dealer recommends changing the fluid, but others on this board have said that it is good for 100-150,000 miles.

How did you get so many miles on your X so fast!?

Yeah, I was the guy from your post who had it changed.
I got my X late 01 and being a forester, I put a lot of miles on all my trucks.

The noise isn't loud or bad. just different. This is the First auto Trans. that I have ever owned.

Well I tried it this morning and I don't think I hear what you hear. I tried a slow acceleration and a more aggressive one. In the slow acceleration I didn't hear anything but light engine and exhause noise. The agressive acceleration I heard engine noise and some really mean sounding exhause :)

Keep in mind I only have around 900 miles on it so it may change over time. If this is your vehicle and not a company truck, you might want to double check the fluid level yourself. I don't trust those flushes they do because they could easily overfill it like they did with my 91 X.

Thanks, the X is mine, and plan on checking it soon.

Back