• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT stalls while driving

jbking

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My wife's '02 XLT has recently started stalling while driving after the engine has gotten hot. It will eventually turn over again after a minute or two. It has only stalled twice while at idle and that's when it will shutter and the tach will bounce a little before it dies; but most of the time it dies while driving with no sound. You feel the loss of power and the tach drops slowly to 0. It's not throwing out any codes either.

It has a clean air filter and 24k miles on the new fuel filter.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'02 XLT Stals while driving: update

I finallly made it to work after 4 stall outs. All happened after I had driven about 10 miles in 82 degree weather. I let the engine idle after I made it to work until it finally died. There was weird sucking sound from the airbox, the engine shuttered and died, and there was a whining sound for a second where the IAC valve is located.

From the other threads I've read, I'm thinking replace the IAC valve. Since it only stalls once hot I'm thinking cleaning it won't do any good. Car has 81k on it.

Thanks for the help! I drive a GTP regularly so I was happy to find a support group for Explorers equal to my Grand Prix family.

Bump....hoping someone can help.

I figured it out

Faulty fuel pump relay. When it got hot it would short out and and trip the emergency fuel cut-off to the engine. $22 plug in the fuse box.

Any techs out there?

Some of the history was deleted off this post.

I didn't fix the problem. It came back a week later. Hitting the fuel reset button doesn't get it to start up anymore; I have to wait a minute or two.

Have you checked the TPS, or the spray pattern on the injectors? The fuel pump itself could be overheating as well and needing to cool before being ready to go again. If there is an IAT on yours you also may look into that as well. I would lean towards the TPS first and foremost, www.rockauto.com is the best for price on those, and actualy all replacement parts. If there was a sucking sound I wouldn't worry too much unless you visibly see any cracked hoses.

Bad fuel pump

Had to tow it into the dealership.

my 05 did the samething. Took it in and the dealer replaced the TPS.

my 2002 4.0 stalls while driving. were you able to fix your stalling problem?

I think I found my issue. The connector to my inertia switch is melted. I checked it before, but never pulled out the connector. No idea why it would have melted.

So until I get a new plug and inertia switch, I just shorted the connection with a wire. Hopefully I won't roll it over or get into an accident in the meantime.

So a 50cent part has cost about $700. I've taken it to ford dealer twice, midas once, replaced the fuel pump and a ton of sensors, etc... Some stuff needed to be replaced anyways, but I spent about $300 at ford and midas having them trying to diagnose the problem.

Before I had just pulled the cover off and checked the connection, but never removed it ... stupid me ...

inertia.jpg

Back