• Register Today It's free!

03' Exp. Hesitation/skip...

jwright4

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, i need your opinions here. I have an 03 with 45k miles. for almost a year i was experiencing a shake/hesitation/shudder feeling when i needed more power...couple with the fact that it was stalling, and then would start hard after stalling. I finally got around to taking it in the shop and they said cyl' 3,4,5 & 6 were all mis-firing. They Did water test on plug wires and all were arcing. So i replaced the wires. made a BIG difference, but i still had the slight hesitation when i needed the extra power. so i figured if the wires are that bad @ 45k miles, i might as well do the plugs..so i did the plugs..replaced with regular autolites. saw alittle improvement after i did those but i'm still getting the slight skip/hesitation.

I'm really lost here as to what could be causing this. I have no fluctuation in the rpm's / speedometer and if i keep it floored from a start it will work through the hesitation when it's shifting in the the higher gears. (sometimes, though, very few, it doesn't even do it)
I'm leaning away from tranny problem since it has gotten better since i replaced the plugs & wires.

Would a fuel filter do this?? slightly clogged injector??
I have NO check engine light on or anything.

Hopefully you have some ideas..... Thanks guys

Jason
Albany NY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have a bad coil pack. If you had wires and plugs with too high of resistance, they may have caused the coils to go bad. They're probably producing enough voltage to fire the plugs at light loads, but not when engine load is increased. I've never priced a new one for one of these, but fortunately, it's very easy to change.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to toss a new fuel and air filter (clean the MAF sensor while you're in there) in it right away too, though I'd do one repair at a time so you know yourself what actually fixed it.

i have thought of the coil pack..i dropped it back off tonight..hopefully they'll take another look at it and not charge me..since what they said was wrong really wasn't........... i'm really hoping it's something simple as fuel filter etc and not the tranny....

my buddies does the same thing.....I thought tranny was slipping or not locking up...never heard back from him

got it back from the shop and they couldn't duplicate... imagine that? of course. but i can get it to do it. they said maybe to do a tranny flush... but i'm thinking it's NoT the tranny because it seems to up & down shift fine. My rpms aren't fluctuating either when this skipping happens. it is intermittantly, though, i notice it most in 2nd gear when i need the extra power. i'm really at a loss...my abs light is on and they did diagnose that as the sensor on the diff. .. think that would have anything to do with it?? (it had started doing it b4 the abs light came on though)

Thanks for any input you guys can give me.. this problem is very annoying.

I have a 2001 and im having similar problems. Mine runs ok when cold, but after a 30 minute drive, if i try to punch the gas to get by someone or accelerate up a hill, once it hits past 3500 rpms, i start to get a shutter or miss in the engine and it gets worse the harder i have the gas down. It will miss really bad past 4k but keep climbing slowly but like i said it gets worse the harder i push it. Plugs are new, dealer just cleaned the intake out cause of a blown pcv valve(dont ask) and put new intake gaskets on. They said that was the problem but they were wrong. I tried putting a new coil pack on but that didnt help. Wires are prob cheap pep boys wires and only 25k miles old. Like i said it only does it when its hot, i get the miss-fire/stuttering and i feel like i lost power.

i've read another post here about the 4x4 module being back causing this problem.....check into that. I"m going to

You might have a bad coil pack. If you had wires and plugs with too high of resistance, they may have caused the coils to go bad. They're probably producing enough voltage to fire the plugs at light loads, but not when engine load is increased. I've never priced a new one for one of these, but fortunately, it's very easy to change.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to toss a new fuel and air filter (clean the MAF sensor while you're in there) in it right away too, though I'd do one repair at a time so you know yourself what actually fixed it.

DITTO ON THE COIL PACK.....HAD HESITATION ISSUE A WHILE AGO....GOOD LUCK..........:salute: :usa:

good thought on the coil pack however after testing it out multiple times i've found that it does NOT act up when i have it in 4x4 High. runs great with no hesitation or jerking when when i have it in 4x4. as soon as i put it back on auto it starts hesitating again.

My truck is doing the exact same thing and it's getting worse. Runs fine most of the time, then under loads it shakes and jerks. Usually letting off the gas a couple of times fixes it, but everytime I hit 4x4 high it immediately quits shaking. When I take it out again, it shakes. I have no clue where to begin. Did you ever fix yours? Thanks!

it's deffinitely your 4x4 control module. bout 160.00 and located behind the glove box. mine was doing the same exact thing....easy fix, and it worked :) hope that helps

Back