• Register Today It's free!

'03 Radio w/Fac DVD HELP

snickstx

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EBX
Short Story, I need a factory replacement head unit......

Long Story, I purchased a mid'03 EBX last summer with the Audiophile and Overhead DVD. A couple of days after I took delivery, I moving everything over from my old truck to the new one. I tried a cd, nothing. After playing with a few more, I was resigned to fact that the cd player didn't work. NO PROBLEM, still under warranty. take it to the local Ford dealer, they tell me it's not the factory radio. To say the least I wasn't happy. Basically, someone at the selling dealer switched the original radio with their non-functioning unit. I still have the website pictures that show the original unit, it had DSP, current one has COMP.

So I need to know what unit I need to replace it with. It needs to have the CD and DSP buttons and also work with the DVD player and factory subwoofer. But, how many plugs, any specific models? Any info would be appreciated. I'm not lazy but I don't want to take the dash apart any more than is required.

Now, a few question specific to the DVD player.

1. Last summer, the screen went blank (backlight) while driving back home from a holiday weekend. A well placed tap on the screen housing and all was well. However, with less than a year on the warranty is there anything I should be concerned about and bring to the service departments attention.

2. I would like to add an Alpine TV Tuner for the kiddos. Will I be able to splice the tuner output into the AUX input on the overhead console? I want no exposed wiring for a factory look.

3. With the tuner in place, I will need to place the remote control eye somewhere. My plan is to break the case apart and place the receiver in with the factory remote receiver and transmitter. Good, Bad or Ugly? Also, anbody know a good universal remote that might work the settup, something simple for the kids.

Thanks All

Ok, yeah, I'm not so quick this late at night....Mod, pls move to AUDIO forum.

When it get's there, I've done some thinking about the TV tuner. Rather than hardwiring the tuner directly to the AUX input, I'd rather wire bluetooth to the AUX. I would need a transmitter that can handle video. This should allow me to use a bluetooth iPOD when they come out. The only problem I can think off is how to get the screen to turn off when using the iPOD rather than the TV tuner.

Back