04 Explorer Manual Lock Alarm Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Manual Lock Alarm Problem

fatboy SRK

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hello,

(1) Great site full of wonderful information.
(2) First time poster.
(3) Searched with 'search' function before posting.

I have a 04 Ford Explorer. When I manually lock my car, it arms the alarm. Using a key to open the driver side door sets of the alarm.

This is the gist of it. I get to my destination, and I:

(1) Turn car off.
(2) Unlock Door
(3) Open Door and get out.
(4) Lock door using the "lock door" botton* (while door is open).
(5) Car chirps 3 times (beep beep beep)
(6) Close door.
(7) Car chirps one time. (beep)

*Locking the the car from any entry point sets the alram.

If I go to open the car with my manual key, it sets off the alarm.

This problem happens 95% of the time.

Every once in a while, there will be no locking/opening/ alarm issues, but the car will chirp once very quickly, when I start it.

Any ideas?

I was having funky alarm issues: if the alarm was set and I touched any of the buttons on the keypad on the door the alarm would go off. When I set the alarm the horn would beep twice. I had some other weird electrical issues too. I know that when you set the alarm and get more than one beep of the horn it means something is wrong.

Turns out it was a broken wire in the boot between the driver's door and the body. Once I fixed the broken wire all issues were resolved! This broken/damaged wire is common on the 3rd Gen Ex's. This could also be related to the door ajar switch.

A lot of members have had success by spraying copious amounts of WD-40 into the door by the hinges. This deals with the door ajar switch issue. If you search for this you should find several posts.

Maybe you should try the WD-40 first since that will be the easiest. Then check for broken/damaged wires, since this will cost nothing to look for and minimal $ to repair.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out!

^^^ Thank you. I will check it out and report my findings.

No problem, keep us posted. :D

Back