Remote/ Drivers Door Lock Issue

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I am currently having an issue with my "keychain Remote Door Lock Button". When I go to enter my locked vehicle, I have to tap the door unlock button at least 2-3 times to get the driver side door to unlock. I can hear the locks on the other doors open before the drivers side door does. The driver side door lock is usually the last lock to unlock. When I go to lock the truck up, I tap the door lock button 2 times to lock all the doors and set the alarm and I can hear the horn beep acknowledging the alarm is set, but my drivers side door lock doesn't always lock and the other doors do. I've found my drivers side door unlocked a few times after having thought I locked all the doors. I may start by changing the Keychain Remote battery for starters, it's the one that came with the vehicle when I bought it this past Jan. and see if this helps. I am also going to look through my owners manual tomorrow to see what I can learn about the operation of the Keychain Remote in regards to the door locks, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and might know what to do about this issue? All my door locks have been generously lubricated on a regular basis with WD-40. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me know if you need the wiring diagram for the power locks. With the diagram you will have a better idea of what wires are for the locks, and it will help in the troubleshooting process.

Here is a thread for replacing the actuator: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198230

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Let me know if you need the wiring diagram for the power locks. With the diagram you will have a better idea of what wires are for the locks, and it will help in the troubleshooting process.

Here is a thread for replacing the actuator: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198230

Hope this helps out!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks BR for the info! My front drivers side door lock does open and close with the keychain remote, just that it takes an extra tap or 2 of the remote control button to get it to lock or unlock after the other doors have locked or unlocked first. I would think the drivers door would unlock first when using the remote to open the vehicle and when locking up the truck, I would think all the door locks should lock at the same time when you tap the vehicle lock button. Thats how all my other remotes have worked in other vehicles I've owned. Appears to be a delay in locking or unlocking the drivers door and I don't know why that is. Thanks again for the info.

I experienced the same with my pass door. I took it apart used elect cleaner on all connections and cleaned and put white lithium greasy on all moving parts and all is good.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
I experienced the same with my pass door. I took it apart used elect cleaner on all connections and cleaned and put white lithium greasy on all moving parts and all is good.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the reply Quilateen. What did you take apart, the inner door skin or more than that? Maybe I'll give that a try, using Electrical Cleaner on the connections and grease up the moving inner door parts.

I took apart panel sound proof and speaker it is very tight. Take your time greasing and cleaning everything I'm not what was the problem so I cnl every part. It might be the actual lock assembly that might be sticking. There's a thread on here on how to take apart door.

>>>>>>>>>>
I took apart panel sound proof and speaker it is very tight. Take your time greasing and cleaning everything I'm not what was the problem so I cnl every part. It might be the actual lock assembly that might be sticking. There's a thread on here on how to take apart door.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the info Quilateen and I printed up the door panel removal instructions earlier today that Big Rondo supplied to me.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303524

Lubing everything is a good idea. Sounds like you actuator is sticking. Check out the thread for replacing the actuator, for a better idea of what you need to grease.

Good luck. ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh no, not another "Actuator" problem! :) Thanks for the links and info BR, and I'll take a look at the Actuator thread. I printed up the door panel removal instructions you gave me yesterday, thanks again! Just about time for the Bills-Raiders game! Good luck to your Pats later!

>>>>>>>>>>>
Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303524

Lubing everything is a good idea. Sounds like you actuator is sticking. Check out the thread for replacing the actuator, for a better idea of what you need to grease.

Good luck. ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh no, not another "Actuator" problem! :) Thanks for the links and info BR, and I'll take a look at the Actuator thread. I printed up the door panel removal instructions you gave me yesterday, thanks again! Just about time for the Bills-Raiders game! Good luck to your Pats later!

Our early games are Jaguars/Jet and Seahawks/Steelers.

Go Bills!

>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>Our early games are Jaguars/Jet and Seahawks/Steelers.>>>>>>>>>

I've got the Pats game on now, looks like Brady is picking apart the Chargers Pats up 17-7.

>>>>>>>>>Go Bills!>>>>>>>>>>

Whewww! Can't believe they came back in this game. They were down 21-3 at the Half. The Bills won the game or went ahead in score on a 4th and goal pass play with 14 seconds left. Bills intercepted a 60 yard hail mary pass to end the game in the Bills end zone. Unbelieveable! Great offensive game, defensively, they both sucked! Over 900 yards offense between them. Next weeks game, Pats vs Bills in Buffalo.

Rivers looking good going deep but can't make it happen in the red zone. It's gonna cost them. Go Wilfork,,

>>>>>>>>
Rivers looking good going deep but can't make it happen in the red zone. It's gonna cost them.>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah I see that. Rivers will blow a gasket and throw a tantrum soon.

>>>>>>>>>Go Wilfork,,>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know what has more giggling going on, a bowl of Jello or Vince Wilfork's belly. :)

Yeah I see that. Rivers will blow a gasket and throw a tantrum soon.>>>>>>>>>Go Wilfork,,>>>>>>>>>>

Kinda like my mounty.

whats up with a good explorer tailgate event lets say sunday october 9th versus jets or nov, 6th vesrus giants rondo i thimk we can get some guys together. ive checked out neexplores doesnt seem like they have much going on.

>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quilateen,

I took apart my drivers side door panel today, was quite easy, but I only folded back half of that sound proofing material at the end of the door where the lock and latch are located. I noticed a wiring harness plug connected to the door lock actuator was covered in an oily lubricant and it could be from the undercoating material from when I had the vehicle professionally undercoated back in February. They shoot that undercoating up inside all of the doors. So I sprayed the back side of this plug harness without unplugging it and surrounding area with electrical cleaner, then I went on to clean the door latch area as well. I found a small, loosely flapping piece of plastic material sticking up along side the door latch, so I removed it with a pair of needle nose pliers. It kind of looked like some kind of plastic coating that may have covered the door latch at one time but had cracked and come apart. I then sprayed the latch up real good with WD-40 and put everything back together. I also lubricated the window track guide with lithium grease. So far after having done this, the door lock seems to be working like it should now, unlocking and locking at the same time as the other doors. Thanks again for the info and help and to "Big Rondo" as well..

Wilfork jiggles again.

Go big man, go! :D:thumbsup:
>>>>>>>>>>>

Straight to the "Rib Cribb" eatery for a gigantic slab of his (Wilfork's) favorite barbecued ribs! :smokinfro ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

>>>>>>>>>>>

Straight to the "Rib Cribb" eatery for a gigantic slab of his (Wilfork's) favorite barbecued ribs! :smokinfro ;)

1st Place tie!!!

See you at the rib hut!! :p:

Back