• Register Today It's free!

'04 Explorer XLT Engine Vibration

ezrider

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a vibration at idle and below 15 mph coming from engine. Vibration goes away when accelerating beyong 15 mph. Vehicle purchased new in 2004 and has no engine, transmission damage\failure and wheels and hubs are good. Recent repairs include, dealer replacement of rear ABS sensor and reprogram of computer. Another mechanic changed out plugs and wires, compression check done on engine (all cylinders ok), ran through 2 bottles of concentrated fuel injector cleaner. Other than vibration runs really well. What could be causing this vibration and what could I expect for a repair bill. Thank you all for your kind attention and assistance.
-Al (aka "ezrider")
'04 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
mi. 66800

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...I'm not sure about my explorer, since I can't go and see if I have the engine vibration.
--As soon as I get my Explorer back I'll check if mine has this and see what could be causing.
I know my 98 has the same vibration problem and its been looked at and westland ford told me there's nothing they can really do.

Thanks for the reply, Nate. When I had it in to the dealer's service dept for the ABS sensor issue, there was no vibration until they returned it to me. When I went back to complain, they told me that my "new problem" was the "harmonic balancer" and for $820 they could make that problem go away. I don't believe them.

vibrations

Im fighting a vibe to, but a little different.

I would think your harmonic balancer is probably not bad. It is a round piece of steel... what could fail there??? It sits on the front of the crankshaft and provides balance for the engines internals. If you were building a new engine and it vibrated, maybe the balancer needs a few grams shaved off one side or the other to balance it. But once balanced, they don't just "go bad".

Chris -

Thanks for your reply. I, too, don't feel it's the harmonic balancer since it's not exhibiting other symptoms, like squeeling or the gear separating from the rubber piece around it. Still have my vibration issue and will take it to another Ford dealer when I have the chance. I think the PCM is messed up.
Hope you find a solution to your problem.

- Al

Try cleaning the MAF sensor and if that doesnt work try cleaning the throttle body. Use an appropriate non residue cleaner tho'.

Thanks for your tip. I cleaned the MAF sensor with the appropriate cleaner. Didn't solve my problem. Not familiar with the location of the throttle body is. I have an '04 v6 fuel injected engine.

It needs a new harmonic balancer, there is a weight on the inside of the pulley that becomes loose and creates vibration. With the engine shut off reach into the inside of thepulley and you will feel the loose weight. There are a couple of thread for this with pics, only happens on 04-05 years.

Have a 2004 Ford Explorere Eddie Bauer edition 8 cyc engine. It is vibrating when it gets to running temp. We replaced spark plugs..wires were ok...it vibrates during idling as if it is out of whack with the timing but of course we dont set timing anymore. What else could it be? Frustrated!!

My issue was caused by the harmonic balancer. Brought it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis and service. Problem solved.

My issue was caused by the harmonic balancer. Brought it to a Ford dealer for diagnosis and service. Problem solved.

My 99' Ranger helecopter vibration ended up being related 100% to a bad fuel injector. Right side, middle cylinder. I pulled the spark plug wires off the coil one by one while running to see if I could isolate it. When pulling off the others, the vibration got worse. When pulling the one for the right middle cylinder nothing changed, no better or worse. I pulled the spark plug and it was dry as a bone! It had been that way since I installed them new a couple weeks prior. This one was still new, not a hint of discoloration and totally dry. I pulled up the fuel rail and pulled the injector, wet on the top and dry on the bottom. It was about $60 for a new injector, popped it in there and Vroooom! Been running great for about two months now without any vibrations at all.

:thumbsup:

Engine vibration in 2004 Ford Explorer

We noticed a high pitch whining sound and sounded like the engine was stuck in full throttle not to mention the extreme vibration. We went on a hunch since it sounded as if the Clutch fan was running continuously . Replaced it and wahlah! That was the source of the vibration, the loud whiring sound and loss of its get up and go!

Back