05 Explorer and aftermarket Head/Factory Rear DVD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer and aftermarket Head/Factory Rear DVD

Railroader74

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Greetings...I recently installed a Clarion NX501 head unit in my 2005 Explorer. It has the factory rear seat DVD which I desperately wanted to keep functional for the kids. There isn't much info out there for this particular year and setup and no aftermarket harness available to retain the RSE. After many, many hours of research and conflicting information I just went ahead and gave it a shot. The stereo went in with no issues. The harness for the RSE has 7 wires: Tan, light blue/pink, light green/black, white, red, yellow and orange. I took the light green/black wire from the DVD harness and wired into the red accessory line from the head unit and to my surprise it actually worked! Now the issue I'm having is it only works with the wireless headphones. I would like the sound to still come over the speakers since my kids are both under 5 and will not put the headphones on. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

With not knowing anything about the rear dvd system my guess is that first you need a stereo with a auxiliary input. second you need to play around with the wires to find the audio output channels from the dvd system to hook up to the auxiliary input rca connections of the stereo. May get lucky and thats all you have to do.

Back