• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer Pops out of Reverse

FordNut01

Reaction score
City, State
western suburbs of chicago illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
Starts out, I started up my 05 Explorer one morning, pulled out to the street and when I went to take off it was like I was trying to take off in 5th gear, then it jumps into 1st gear and everything seems ok until I stop again. then it starts all over again. got on the main road and shifted through all the gears ok but the OD light started flashing, and OD was jumping in and out. got it home and hooked up my OBDII and got a pending code of P1716 (shift solenoid C malfunction replace ssc) so I ordered the part online. when I received the part I went to back the Explorer into the garage and it would go into reverse but it would come right out of reverse like it was in neutral, I would put it into park and back into reverse with the same results. finally pushed it into the garage and replaced the Shift solenoid Pak, replaced the filter and installed all new mercon V fluid. it seems ok in D (but have not driven it yet) but in reverse it still pops out. ANYBODY WITH ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission issues with the Ex are rarely a good sign and not an easy fix. I'd drive it to an AAMCO or other transmission shop. They'll usually do free diagnostic and then you'll know what's going on.
Just ca ahead and ask if they've worked on many 5R55S/W transmissions.

You have to reset the PCM after replacing the solenoid pack. Disconnect the battery and hold the brake pedal for 2 minutes. Be sure to let it relearn the idle afterwards.

Also, this may be helpful.

2e3q4o1.jpg

and this:

http://txnj.net/Explorer/2002_5R55W_5R55S_Trouble_Code_Definitions.pdf

Transmission issues with the Ex are rarely a good sign and not an easy fix. I'd drive it to an AAMCO or other transmission shop. They'll usually do free diagnostic and then you'll know what's going on.
Just ca ahead and ask if they've worked on many 5R55S/W transmissions.

Do yourself a favor and dont take it to an Aamco dealer. They got bought out years ago and their business practices are questionable, nationwide, you can research if you like. I took mine for a complete rebuild with a 15 month 15 thousand mile waranty. After approximately 20k miles, the transmission needs to be rebuilt again and they scatched my drivers door pretty deep when they had it and didn't even bother to tell me until I complained.

Do yourself a favor and dont take it to an Aamco dealer. They got bought out years ago and their business practices are questionable, nationwide, you can research if you like. I took mine for a complete rebuild with a 15 month 15 thousand mile waranty. After approximately 20k miles, the transmission needs to be rebuilt again and they scatched my drivers door pretty deep when they had it and didn't even bother to tell me until I complained.

I'd go with a Ford dealer.

and that warranty is crap. If I'm going to pay for a rebuilt or new transmission I want the same warranty as one in a new car would have. 3 year 32,000 mile at least.

I'd go with a Ford dealer.

and that warranty is crap. If I'm going to pay for a rebuilt or new transmission I want the same warranty as one in a new car would have. 3 year 32,000 mile at least.

Make sure you take out a second mortgage if you go to a Ford dealer:D

Back