05 explorer replaced tranny now won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer replaced tranny now won't start

Tamilee76

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
i need some help. I have a 05 explorer that the transmission went in earlier this year. finally got the money for a junkyard replacement. got it put in and now the suv won't start. We have checked the starter it tested good. we have changed the battery, cleaned the ends, tried charging the battery and tried jumping the battery. as the battery drained from tryng to start the car. they car acts like it wants to start but can't. Just did an oil change on it and the oil smelt burnt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i need some help. I have a 05 explorer that the transmission went in earlier this year. finally got the money for a junkyard replacement. got it put in and now the suv won't start. We have checked the starter it tested good. we have changed the battery, cleaned the ends, tried charging the battery and tried jumping the battery. as the battery drained from tryng to start the car. they car acts like it wants to start but can't. Just did an oil change on it and the oil smelt burnt.

Dose any of the car get power? Like radio, headlights, windows ect. If you don't have any power whatsoever you may have forgotten a main body ground.

Yes there is power to eveything door bings when opened, dome lights,and all that works. But when you go to start the car. The battery gets drained trying to get it to turn over.

Yes there is power to eveything door bings when opened, dome lights,and all that works. But when you go to start the car. The battery gets drained trying to get it to turn over.

Ok well atleast you know it's getting power, somthing may be tripping the neutral safety switch preventing it from starting, also it could be the anti theft system not letting it start.

binding

If the starter is cranking but drawing excess current due to high load then either the transmission is defective or installed incorrectly. The input shaft may be installed backwards preventing the transmission from seating. Did you use the original or replacement torque converter? Try rotating the crankshaft by hand using a socket and drive on the harmonic balancer retaining bolt. If the force is excessive then pull the starter and rotate the crankshaft again. If the force is still excessive then pull the transmission.

If the starter is cranking but drawing excess current due to high load then either the transmission is defective or installed incorrectly. The input shaft may be installed backwards preventing the transmission from seating. Did you use the original or replacement torque converter? Try rotating the crankshaft by hand using a socket and drive on the harmonic balancer retaining bolt. If the force is excessive then pull the starter and rotate the crankshaft again. If the force is still excessive then pull the transmission.

My dad is doing all the work on the car i am doing all the work on the computer. He has pulled the shaft and turned it around. the torque converter i am not sure. he says it is very tight and he cant the engine to move. So i guess the suv is going to sit till tax season and i get some money to get it to a garage that i trust. and have it looked at.

Back