05 v8 intake options?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 v8 intake options??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your end goal/reasoning for one? I wouldn't expect much more than being able to open the hood and hear "that looks kind of cool..." which to me isn't worth $150.00

i just want some minor bolt ons to get a lil more power out of my truck only planning to get intake exhaust and tune... hopefully ill get some better gas milage too... but mainly want it a lil quicker

That looks pretty nice for the price. I would like to get a review from someone that has one.

I looked at this one on ebay before. The problem I see is that the filter is open to the heat from the engine. The filter needs to be enclosed or blocked from the heat. The heat will offset the purpose of a cold air intake.:usa:

ya true but im sure u can make some kinda heat shield.. after all you will be removing the whole box assembly so thers gotta be some room

i made my own from pepboys. it definately improved the throttle reponse and made it sound better too. feels quicker but probably isnt.

sounds like a plan ill go ahead and try to make one that sounds like the most cost effective way i guess

just got a universal pepboys kit.. will try to make somthing tommorow ill let u know the oucome

Fire up some pics when you get er done. :thumbsup:

You cant just fab one on an 04-05....the MAF is molded into the intake, be very careful.

Also, the KKM kit is a rip off. Spend the money and get the K&N.

Also some other good bolt ons would be a full cat back exhaust, and a custom tune.

im saving for a tune and i have a gibson cat back but its not installed

yup... its pretty hard to fad an intake for it... id love to know how japracer4 did it... why do u say the kkm is a ripoff???

how about removing the small plastic air boxes off the stock intake tube, plug up those holes and getting a high flow air filter....? thats gotta be a good cost effective route to take

sorry man ive been looking around for ya but all it seems i can find for ur year is the k&n that costs about 260 bucks :S sorry man

I personally wouldnt waste mytime with bolt ons....

If anything, skip the intake, go right to the exhaust, THATS where you can actually make horsepower.
(although it wont be dirt cheap)

If you swap out the Exhaust manifolds, and run a custom exhaust and mufflers, and delete the cats......it'll sound absolutely badass.
And you'll free alot of horsepower up.

I threw a Flowmaster 40 on my mountaineer v8, and it sounds badass for an SUV, i always get weird looks when im driving.....people hear me coming but dont expect to see an SUV, :D lol.

I didnt notice any power gains or better gas mileage, but it sounds NICE along with the BFG M/T's howling down the road,lol.

I'd skip the intake, unless you're going straight to the Manifolds them selves.

You ARENT gonna make power for $150.....just simple as it is.

It takes money to make power, PERIOD!!!
(well in %99 of the cases, with a few exceptions)

If anything , shoot for the exhaust, THATS where the power restriction is on stock vehicles......good luck

actually i made an intake and i def. feel a difference... i will post pics this weekend but all i did is get the k&n filter and i took the stock tube and deleted the resevoirs or scilencers... what ever ther called... now the motor does sound nice and loud and i do feel i very small gain its definatly worth the time and 45$ for the filter

o and i did order a gibson cat back exhaust

yea um i added a mac intake and exhaust to my 98 5.0 and i noticed a conciderable difference in performance...not like differences ud get from forced induction or anything but its definately worth doing. hell even after just the CAI i noticed a slight difference. and as far as gas mileage goes its not a huge change but it does help a bit...anything u can do to help ur engine breathe better will increase power and gas mileage. Now i do agree about the manifolds but headers or even upgraded exhaust manifolds are a ***** to put on... a CAI is cheap and its something u can easily do yourself and its definately worth the money and effort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup... its pretty hard to fad an intake for it... id love to know how japracer4 did it... why do u say the kkm is a ripoff???

KKM is a rip off because it's just a filter and an MAF adapter to fit a 3" cone filter on the stock tube. I almost made the mistake of purchasing it, but the good people of this board pointed out I could make my own KKM kit for about 65bucks. I'm still running stock ATM because I decided to hold off on the intake and just wait and get the full K&N kit so I dont have to re do the tubing later.

I personally wouldnt waste mytime with bolt ons....

If anything, skip the intake, go right to the exhaust, THATS where you can actually make horsepower.
(although it wont be dirt cheap)

If you swap out the Exhaust manifolds, and run a custom exhaust and mufflers, and delete the cats......it'll sound absolutely badass.
And you'll free alot of horsepower up.

I threw a Flowmaster 40 on my mountaineer v8, and it sounds badass for an SUV, i always get weird looks when im driving.....people hear me coming but dont expect to see an SUV, :D lol.

I didnt notice any power gains or better gas mileage, but it sounds NICE along with the BFG M/T's howling down the road,lol.

(well in %99 of the cases, with a few exceptions)

If anything , shoot for the exhaust, THATS where the power restriction is on stock vehicles......good luck

I'm sorry, this is probably one of the most ignorant statements I've seen on this forum.

There is no need to go swapping out exhaust manifolds and deleting cats if you're pulling in the same amount of air.... Upgrading your exhaust is going to do next to nothing unless you increase the amount of air coming through. And why would you even suggest that NOT giving the engine more air is a good idea? More air = colder air, I fail to see the negatives here...

here's what I suggest, which has been a proven starting method for 3rd gen V8's

1) Intake (K&N is your best option here)
2) new exhaust (Gibson cat-back, magnaflow, or custom cat back featuring Flow 40's)
3) custom tune (James Henson to the rescue...)

And actually, MOST restriction in stock vehicles are the conservative factory tunes and the very restrictive intakes.

Back