05 xlt message center "TEST" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 xlt message center "TEST"

RustyBlue05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer Xlt
So my battery was dead last night and I had to put it on the charger. I started it up and let it run for 20 or so minutes then shut it off and let it sit overnight. Come this morning I go to start it and when I turn the key to the run position I notice the voltage was on the low side not dead but not normal. I turn it over and it struggles but it does start. After it started the gauges all went as low as they could and started twitching. Thats when I noticed that the message center said "TEST". I pressed reset then it said "GAUGES SWEEP" and the gauges stopped twitching and swept from min to max and back to the zero positions before reading normally. I kept pressing reset and it kept giving more info like exact RPMs, coolant temp, air fuel ratio and a bunch of other things. I would like to know why it did that. Did it do some sort of "factory reset" from the battery being dead? And also does any one know how to make it display that normally so I could see it whenever?

So my battery was dead last night and I had to put it on the charger. I started it up and let it run for 20 or so minutes then shut it off and let it sit overnight. Come this morning I go to start it and when I turn the key to the run position I notice the voltage was on the low side not dead but not normal. I turn it over and it struggles but it does start. After it started the gauges all went as low as they could and started twitching. Thats when I noticed that the message center said "TEST". I pressed reset then it said "GAUGES SWEEP" and the gauges stopped twitching and swept from min to max and back to the zero positions before reading normally. I kept pressing reset and it kept giving more info like exact RPMs, coolant temp, air fuel ratio and a bunch of other things. I would like to know why it did that. Did it do some sort of "factory reset" from the battery being dead? And also does any one know how to make it display that normally so I could see it whenever?
I just experienced a similar thing am I searching the correct terms?
New battery and alternator Feb 2020. 190,000 miles.
Battery was not dead.
Vehicle acted like low battery when trying to start- solenoid click no turn over.
Message center "adv trac off"
Key off then back on vehicle started, message displayed "test", then pressed reset and "gauges sweep".
Only code is "401 EGR"

Back