06-07 V8 Spark Plug Issue - Change Them Early? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06-07 V8 Spark Plug Issue - Change Them Early?

feetwet

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Grove, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
On "Cartalk" recently it was suggested to change your spark plugs early as a preventative measure (before 100k miles).

One board member on another site mentioned:
The spark plug design on 3-valve engine is different, ... the problem is that the spark plug threads actually protrude through the cylinder head into the combustion chamber. After 100K miles, there can be quite a bit of carbon stuck on the threads. Try to remove the plug with all that carbon on the threads, it seizes, breaking the spark plug off way down in the head if you don't stop.

Some members of this site have suggested this is one job that is worth paying a Ford dealer to do ($300+) ... so you aren't the one to destroy your threads.

How many of you guys are thinking about changing your plugs early?

Do you expect there is any chance that Ford would offer and TSB or similar remedy so owners don't have to pay for this service?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, for DIY'ers, has anyone determined which replay replacement plugs will resolve the issue?

I suppose replacements will have a fewer threads so not to protrude into the head.

I changed mine at about 35K miles. I alittle nervous leaving them for 100K miles and possibly seizing up. Be sure to get the Lisle extractor tool incase you break a plug. I did mine with no problems. There's a how-to thread here somewhere how to carefully unscrew them out. Very easy to do if you're careful. I went with the Autolite HT1 as a replacement.

Good info. I saw the article in SJ newspaper last week.

But I will sell my Explorer well before I hit 100K miles.

Trust me do them at 60k, if you wait till 100k you are guaranteed to break a couple. Explorers and mountaineers are less prone to breakage then the F150/Navigator/Expedition vehicles.

Original plugs @ 154k, 6 of 8 came out with ease,:) 2 broke off. (2nd gen though, so I dont think the threads protrude like your guys' do.)

Please change them; if not for yourself, then for the next owner who will hit +100k and decide to change them!

I recently purchase the 06 Explorer Limited...and it has 55k miles. This is exactly the thread I've been looking for. I also have heard about the spark plug issue.

How likely am I to run into a breakage replacing the plugs now at 55k miles? I've been holding off doing the replacement trying to find this out? I'm having a hard time finding the Lisle extraction tool local, and I'd hate to buy it online and have to return it because I didn't need it...returning things online can be a hassle.

Just did mine last week with 61k on the clock on my 06 Limited.

I will say this...if you have basic mechanical experience, this is not that hard of a job. Just make sure you have the extractor tool on hand. I broke 2 plugs, but it was easier getting them out than breaking some of the plugs loose. 3 hour job total, and that was with smoke breaks.

Original plugs @ 154k, 6 of 8 came out with ease,:) 2 broke off. (2nd gen though, so I dont think the threads protrude like your guys' do.)

Please change them; if not for yourself, then for the next owner who will hit +100k and decide to change them!

It's not the same at all Brian

With the problems these motors have had, I would do it around 25k miles, spark plugs are cheap, pulling a head, well it's not so cheap.

Just did mine last week with 61k on the clock on my 06 Limited.

I will say this...if you have basic mechanical experience, this is not that hard of a job. Just make sure you have the extractor tool on hand. I broke 2 plugs, but it was easier getting them out than breaking some of the plugs loose. 3 hour job total, and that was with smoke breaks.

Did you follow the procedure in the TSB in post 5...and still got breakage...or did you just have at them?
Just trying to see what I'm in for here...I fix everything myself from my car to my Nintendo Wii...so I'm not afraid to do the job...just trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

Kinda. I broke them loose with a 1/4 turn then sprayed some Deep Creep in there and let them sit for about 20 min. Then I slowly turned them until they came out. I didn't do the back and forth turning except on a couple that seemed like they were stuck. I didn't even know I broke the 2 until I pulled the plug out. The other ones that sounded like something broke were the ones that came out in one piece.

The extractor tool is the key...since if you break a plug, you can just use the tool the extract the rest out. I bet that now that I have done a spark plug change once, I could do it again in 90 mins or so.

The extractor tool is the key...since if you break a plug, you can just use the tool the extract the rest out. I bet that now that I have done a spark plug change once, I could do it again in 90 mins or so.

Can you share a link to the extractor tool you mentioned?

It's curious that no one has mentioned running through a few tanks of fuel with an additive to remove any carbon build-up... any thoughts on this?

Can you share a link to the extractor tool you mentioned?

It can be found many places...but here is a link....
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt..._broken_spark_plug_remover_lis_65600_alt.html

It's curious that no one has mentioned running through a few tanks of fuel with an additive to remove any carbon build-up... any thoughts on this?

I've read about people doing that and using seafoam...and STILL breaking some...must depend on how much miles/carbon are put on the plugs I suppose...I've also read that they break for a combo of 2 factors...the carbon build-up, and that the OEM spark plugs where constructed as a 2 piece design...which separates due to the resistance caused by the carbon build-up.

The references only mention the 06-05 model years. Did Ford fix this problem for the 09-10 model years?

I think starting with 08 they redesigned the heads so the plugs are not that close to the head so can't build up the carbon. 09-10 should be safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not so great of luck today :(

So I went out to tackle this one today (only 66k on the truck)with the TSB and lisle 65600 in hand. Followed the procedure to a T and still broke 4 of 8. 3 of the 4 came out fine with the lisle tool but on the fourth I can't get the extractor to bite into the sleeve. I tried using some downward pressure while turning but still no luck. I originally thought I would be taking it to the dealer to remove the head but I think I'm going to order the calvan 39100 as a last ditch effort to get it out myself. It looks like this tool (as well as the rotunda) comes with a tap to cut new threads into the plug sleeve and then a matching puller bolt. I'm crossing my fingers that this does the trick. Does anyone have any idea what the dealer book calls for hours of labor for removing a head ?

Back