06 Explorer Factory Head Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Factory Head Unit

dunbar26

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2006 Explorer XLT. It has the factory headunit/speakers/subwoofer in the car. Now the other the all the lights on the screen on my head unit it went out. The corners of the screen on the headunit were fading for the past few months and finally the whole thing went dark. Everything still played I just have no read out on the screen. Now I've always wanted an aux input on this truck so I could play my ipod without one of those crappy FM transponders.

Now I know 2007+ Explorers have the aux input from the factory. I guess what I am asking is if it is possible to install a headunit from a newer Explorer into my 2006 and utilize the aux input functionality.

I'm not sure, but if it were me I would buy an aftermarket head unit like I've done for all 3 of my Xs'.

I have a 2006 Explorer XLT. It has the factory headunit/speakers/subwoofer in the car. Now the other the all the lights on the screen on my head unit it went out. The corners of the screen on the headunit were fading for the past few months and finally the whole thing went dark. Everything still played I just have no read out on the screen. Now I've always wanted an aux input on this truck so I could play my ipod without one of those crappy FM transponders.

Now I know 2007+ Explorers have the aux input from the factory. I guess what I am asking is if it is possible to install a headunit from a newer Explorer into my 2006 and utilize the aux input functionality.

I'll sell you my 2006 OEM head unit, but while you have it out you can install a PIE adaptor! I'll sell you it cheap, PM me if your interested....

Back