06 mountaineer, no power to rr turn lamp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 mountaineer, no power to rr turn lamp

dk2806

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer
Got check RR lamp warning along with quick flash on right front signal. Got new bulbs, pulled old one (looks fine) and replaced. Still get warning, quick flash. Checked socket, no power with turn or hazards. Hazards flash at right speed, just no power to rr socket. Checked trailer harness and have power with test light on r side turn and hazard. Might it be the relay? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a mystery problem similar to yours. I had to trace the wires to locate the problem. There was a wire connector/junction that was corroded from water. Everything had power except the one bulb, so I had to trace the power wire back. Just check the wiring diagram. It was a PITA, but once I got started I had the problem located in about 15 min.

Thanks. Hoping to avoid that, I went after the flasher relay. Never found it, but pulled some other relays attached to the fuse panel under the dash hoping it was the right one. They weren't. Put the them back, ran to the store and wouldn't you know it was working fine. Go figure. Keeping my fingers crossed.

the relay is in the smart junction box, its on the main board soldered.

when a bulb is out and a warning is on the dash if the key is on, when the bulb is replaced it wont work till you cycle the key.

Thanks, I don't think that is my issue. I drove for a week after changing the bulb. As I said in my last post, after fooling with the fuse box panel and not touching anything that should affect the turn signals, they mysteriously started working. That lasted for about 10 cycles and now back to square one. Going to get a wiring diagram and try to trace problem. Instead of working from the bulb back I am going to start at the fuse panel and work forward as it seems something there has a bad connection. Not looking forward to sending to dealer for hours of diagnostics. Thanks for the help and keep the tips and ideas coming!

Suggest working from bulb back. Alot of water gets slung back from the tires. More likely to be a problem closer to the rear of vehicle. Also easier to find wires in the back as opposed to thicker wiring harnesses near front.

Thanks, I don't think that is my issue. I drove for a week after changing the bulb. As I said in my last post, after fooling with the fuse box panel and not touching anything that should affect the turn signals, they mysteriously started working. That lasted for about 10 cycles and now back to square one. Going to get a wiring diagram and try to trace problem. Instead of working from the bulb back I am going to start at the fuse panel and work forward as it seems something there has a bad connection. Not looking forward to sending to dealer for hours of diagnostics. Thanks for the help and keep the tips and ideas coming!

The 2007 Explorer SJB appears to be located on driver's side above the parking brake pedal and has at least 3 connectors:

1. C2280A that includes pin 27 with VT-OG wire for the right rear stop/turn bulb; the wiring loom appears to run down to the floor and then to the back of the vehicle under the "carpet".

2. C2280E that includes pin 27 with YE-VT wire for the right front turn bulb; the wiring loom appears to run upward and forward to the engine compartment.

3. C2280D for multi function switch, etc.

For the front right turn signal bulb there does not appear to be a connection after the SJB untill the bulb holder connector block, pin 3. So the same wire colour Yellow/Violet (YE-VT) is used throughout.

For the right rear top/turn bulb there is a junction block inside the vehicle just ahead of the right rear lights connecting to pin 2, then on to the bulb holder at pin 3. The same colur wire Violet/Orange (VT-OG) is used throughout.

Good luck.

Edit: I thought the Explorer and Mountaineer were the same, but they are not. For the Mountaineer the right rear turn signal uses pin 1 at the bulb, wire colours are the same as the Explorer.

For the front right signal lamp there is a repeater. The repeater wire is yellow/Violet and connects the SJB at pin 27 to the repeater, and there is a connector in the right side of the engine compartment (about middle) for the Brown wire from the main signal light to connect.

Sorry for the mistakes.

Back