06 mustang 4.0 SOHC t5 on a OHV? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 mustang 4.0 SOHC t5 on a OHV?

Hmm, most mustangs (other than the Cobra/Mach 1) are 6 bolt. There's a thread on mustangforums that a couple guys said they had 6 bolt... Regardless they make flywheels for both :)

ALL 4.0L engines from 97 on are 8 bolt. It doesn't matter what body Ford stuffed it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Have to pull a 4.0 sohc flywheel and take a look now..I've been outa the mustang world for years now..still love the old foxbodys, if I didn't have the motor I have I would have bought one:(

I've had 5 Mustangs now, one Fox but I was doing the 351 thing in it though. Also none of them have been V6's, I started with an 03 Cobra, then an 08 GT, 08 Shelby, 90 GT, and now my Saleen. I did the most work to the 03 Cobra and Fox so I could tell you more about them than anything else from personal experience but I've done more than enough research on my S197s (minus V6's apparenly lol) to know what I've got.

One way to check is to go to sites like www.americanmuscle.com and see what they have listed for the V6, but sometimes they have generic pictures of the actual products. Which is why I checked the forums, since most of the GT's are only 6 bolt I figured the V6's would have been, but that may not be the case.

Edit: Just saw snoranger's post, can't argue with that. Also found the same thing stated on the mustang forums. :salute:

Lol snoranger definitely knows his stuff when it comes to interchangeable parts;) lol very knowledgeable! !

I've had 5 Mustangs now, one Fox but I was doing the 351 thing in it though. Also none of them have been V6's, I started with an 03 Cobra, then an 08 GT, 08 Shelby, 90 GT, and now my Saleen. I did the most work to the 03 Cobra and Fox so I could tell you more about them than anything else from personal experience but I've done more than enough research on my S197s (minus V6's apparenly lol) to know what I've got.

One way to check is to go to sites like www.americanmuscle.com and see what they have listed for the V6, but sometimes they have generic pictures of the actual products. Which is why I checked the forums, since most of the GT's are only 6 bolt I figured the V6's would have been, but that may not be the case.

Edit: Just saw snoranger's post, can't argue with that. Also found the same thing stated on the mustang forums. :salute:

It seems like Ford switched to the 8 bolt because of the increase in torque when they went to the SOHC. You have to remember the bolt circle is smaller on the v6 compared to the v8, a large dismeter 6 bolt is stronger then a small diameter 8 bolt. This also pretty much solved the problem of the flex plate or crank spacer cracking.

Lol snoranger definitely knows his stuff when it comes to interchangeable parts;) lol very knowledgeable! !

Hey, when you have them all just sitting around collecting dust, why not see what fits where.

It seems like Ford switched to the 8 bolt because of the increase in torque when they went to the SOHC. You have to remember the bolt circle is smaller on the v6 compared to the v8, a large dismeter 6 bolt is stronger then a small diameter 8 bolt. This also pretty much solved the problem of the flex plate or crank spacer cracking.

Interesting, wonder why they didn't just make the bolt circle bigger so they could use the same clutch/flywheel as the V8's :dunno:

So if I have the option of running a 8bolt crank should I switch? Think they went to a different key on the balancer to right?

Interesting, wonder why they didn't just make the bolt circle bigger so they could use the same clutch/flywheel as the V8's :dunno:

That would require a LOT of work. New crank molds, resigned block molds, new crank bearings, etc. They would have to make the crank diameter bigger.

So if I have the option of running a 8bolt crank should I switch? Think they went to a different key on the balancer to right?

I wouldn't, they really only had problems with the auto flex plate and crank spacer. The flywheel is thick enough to not crack.

Yes, I don't recall when they changed the woodruff key on the crank, but it was in the mid 90s.

20131101_121735_zps592ce4f1.jpg

20131101_121716_zps88e86db6.jpg

20131101_121727_zps3e752684.jpg

20131101_121749_zpsced81d11.jpg

20131101_125413_zps700d838c.jpg

So its here and right off the bat I see slight issues. The shifter, speedo and drive shaft. I'm thinking of swapping a old school mustang t5 tailshaft on it instead of the s10.I like the shifter being farther back and think (correct me if wrong) but the old t5 drive shaft uses same spline as the m5 and has a gear driven speedo right?? Plus they make tons of shifters for the old t5s and are a dime a dozen, pretty sure my buddy has some laying around in his shop.noone seems to want them as they aren't WC but that doesn't matter for tail shaft.also didn't remember the sohc bellhouse being so small:(came with a slave and have ran the numbers and it is a WC t5 from a 06 mustang 4.0 sohc.

Look at that... It has both the SOHC and OHV bolt patterns.

Edit: where's the bleeder on the slave?

Look at that... It has both the SOHC and OHV bolt patterns.

Edit: where's the bleeder on the slave?

Ummm that's a good point.honestly I didn't or haven't looked.lol its in my shop so have to look tomorrow. Plan is to get a early t5 tailshaft and swap it out.I'm waiting on my buddy to check his lot and see if he has one but if not a member on rps has a brand new cobra shaft for me;)

Ok again I've ran into a problem. The ex ohv and sohc flywheel and clutch will fit each other but the mustang 100% uses a different flywheel and clutch than the ex sohc.I cant find a lot of info on the flywheel besides part numbers.the clutch for the sohc ex is 10-1/8diax1-1/16 spline dia and has 23 splines.the mustang is 10"x1-1/16 and has 10 splines....:( so the million dollar question is if the mustang clutch will fit the explorer/ranger flywheel, unfortunately noone has a flywheel in stock or mustang clutch so I can compare.i may end up having to order both and try and send one back hopefully....

.whoever said this was a direct bolt in swap is FULL of it, there is just no physical way it would just swap in with the clutch, shifter and driveshaft flange! !! I CALL BS!!

you might be able to swap the input shaft and just use the explorer clutch.

you might be able to swap the input shaft and just use the explorer clutch.

What input shaft? The one from a M5OD?

Better hope the mustang clutch bolts up to the Ranger flywheel... Your other option is to try the mustang disc with a RBV pressure plate.

What input shaft? The one from a M5OD?

Better hope the mustang clutch bolts up to the Ranger flywheel... Your other option is to try the mustang disc with a RBV pressure plate.

That could be a option.the ohv is a 10" disc so I could use that pressure plate.I plan on running a spec stage 3+ clutch tho so don't know how that could work out, doubt they would sell me a ohv pressure plate and a mustang disc.

Also another point was brought up on rps, is the shaft pilot the same size? Do you or anyone have a m5 by chance that you could measure the pilot shaft or bearing?

I'm starting to lean towards getting a 8 bolt crank and running all mustang stuff, nothing ohv.there is a HUGE price difference in ohv flywheel and mustang tho:(

You might call spec and ask, I've heard of them selling people just the disks so you may be able to get the mustang disk and explorer pressure plate.

You might call spec and ask, I've heard of them selling people just the disks so you may be able to get the mustang disk and explorer pressure plate.

First need to see if a mustang clutch and plate will fit the ohv flywheel..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple updates.first I have found someone that has done the swap but did it in a sohc ranger.he used all mustang parts:(

Next I ran some specs on the pilot bearing and it appears they are they same!! Next my ohv flywheel and sohc clutch has arrived. I need to go down and compare they two...lets keep our fingers crossed they fit together! !! I won't be purchasing the clutch as I'm going to run a spec stage 3+ and the flywheel I'm having about 6-10lbs removed from it.I'm told they weigh around 26-28Lbs, that's a BRICK for a 11"ish flywheel!!

WISH ME LUCK!!!:(

Back