06 mustang 4.0 SOHC t5 on a OHV?

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
I've searched for three days and have found only a couple of threads anywhere online and no one seem to ever finish or give details besides what trans to use..I picked up a 06 sohc t5 from a mustang today so need some definite answer..its going in my 94 4.0 ohv 5 speed with a one piece drive shaft.

Obviously the t5 from a 06 mustang 4.0 sohc will bolt up minus one bolt that I know.also have seen its about two inches shorter than my m5.but I have not seen what flywheel, clutch, slave and starter to use. I would guess you need a ohv flywheel and clutch because my 94 is what a 6 bolt.then I would guess I need a 06 sohc mustang starter.what slave would I use though? ??if this has been covered please share links;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

been told that a sohc clutch will bolt to a ohv flywheel, told its slightly larger(1/16th) but bolt patteren is the same..also been told only difference in ohv flywheel and sohc flywheel is ohv is 6bolt and sohc is 8bolt..so the clutch on a 06 mustang should just be a 4.0 sohc clutch right?? Is there any other differences, is any of this info correct?? That leads to the slave, does a m5hd behind a sohc in a explorer use the same slave as the m5 behind a ohv??somebody help!!

I did a little research on this, all I remember is that you're supposed to use the SOHC flywheel but not %100 sure

The 6/8 bolt difference isn't OHV/SOHC dependent... They all changed over to 8 bolt in '97 or '98. I know the flex plates are interchangeable between the OHV and SOHC, I have to assume the flywheel is too.

I know 4.0 starters come in auto or manual and be swapped between OHVs or SOHCs. I don't know if the same applies to the mustang SOHC.

The 6/8 bolt difference isn't OHV/SOHC dependent... They all changed over to 8 bolt in '97 or '98. I know the flex plates are interchangeable between the OHV and SOHC, I have to assume the flywheel is too.

I know 4.0 starters come in auto or manual and be swapped between OHVs or SOHCs. I don't know if the same applies to the mustang SOHC.

So assuming the flywheel is the same then that should confirm a sohc clutch can mount to a ohv.
If the sohc m5hd can mount to a ohv I would assume the 06t5 can to using either a sohc flywheel and clutch or using a ohv flywheel and clutch.starter I'm sure I can use a mustang one because it engages the same flywheel (sohc or ohv)

Just wonder about the slave now? Does the m5HD use the same slave as the ohv m5 or can a ohv slave, flywheel and clutch be used with the m5HD?

Need as many things as possible that I can go compare them and or have options sense noone really seems to have experience with the 06 t5.mine should be here tomorrow and I can physically take measurements off from.

I did a little research on this, all I remember is that you're supposed to use the SOHC flywheel but not %100 sure

The sohc or 97+ won't fit the early 6 bolt cranks.if need be I can get a 97+ ohv 8 bolt crank..then I guess I could run a sohc flywheel, clutch and slave.maybe that's the route I need to take.see if the 06 sohc flywheel can fit a 8 bolt ohv crank...

On the mustang boards there's a guy called "nice pony" that builds adapters to put a tremec 3650 behind a SOHC. It seems the 4.0 guys running power adders say the t5s dont hold up long. You may want to look into that.

On the mustang boards there's a guy called "nice pony" that builds adapters to put a tremec 3650 behind a SOHC. It seems the 4.0 guys running power adders say the t5s dont hold up long. You may want to look into that.

I've seen that.cost is not worth it plus they are breaking them when they get over 500-600hp and you can build a t5 to handle that easily.I should be around that at the crank so I think anything over may be over kill.hell I've seen mustang guy put 500+ on stock 94-95 t5.the 06 is the world class t5 just with a sohc bellhouse and the longer shaft like the 94-95.plus I literally just bought this t5:(

Think I may go to the store and get a 06 mustang clutch and see if it fits a 6bolt ohv flywheel.if it does I will run a ohv flywheel , mustang clutch and slave.

If this transmission is from an 06, it is not a T5. Mustangs haven't had a T5 since 98, Mid 01-04 had a Cable clutch TR3650/T3650 and in 05 they went to a hydraulic style. Then in '11 they came out with the MT-82. The V6 mustangs all have 6 bolt cranks and the GT's and Cobra's came with 8 bolt.

So I can't really help you with the rest, but you should have a T3650 and if you have the clutch and flywheel it should be a 6-bolt.

If this transmission is from an 06, it is not a T5. Mustangs haven't had a T5 since 98, Mid 01-04 had a Cable clutch TR3650/T3650 and in 05 they went to a hydraulic style. Then in '11 they came out with the MT-82. The V6 mustangs all have 6 bolt cranks and the GT's and Cobra's came with 8 bolt.

So I can't really help you with the rest, but you should have a T3650 and if you have the clutch and flywheel it should be a 6-bolt.

This is completely wrong but thanks for the input...

4.0l Mustangs had a hydraulic clutch T5... V8s got the 3650.

4.0l Mustangs had a hydraulic clutch T5... V8s got the 3650.

Wow, my bad.. You are right. I'm only knowledgeable on the GT's and Cobra's sorry :(

Side note, the V6's should still have 6 bolt cranks (even most GT's do).

Wow, my bad.. You are right. I'm only knowledgeable on the GT's and Cobra's sorry :(

I wasn't gonna bust your balls.I do appreciate any input tho..:salute:

You could probably find a flywheel for that on one of the mustang forums, unless you need a smaller one. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just thought about the input shaft as well, the one on the trans if it's stock is 10 spline. Not sure what's on the explorer. You'll also need a clutch specific to that.

You could probably find a flywheel for that on one of the mustang forums, unless you need a smaller one. :thumbsup:

The mustang clutch should fit either a explorer/ranger ohv or sohc flywheel.also as posted I think all went to a 8bolt in 97 atleast in the explorer/ranger world:salute:

Hmm, most mustangs (other than the Cobra/Mach 1) are 6 bolt. There's a thread on mustangforums that a couple guys said they had 6 bolt... Regardless they make flywheels for both :)

Also I think the 3.8 used a t5 but was either remote shift or just different in some way..really haven't looked into that tho.

Also I think the 3.8 used a t5 but was either remote shift or just different in some way..really haven't looked into that tho.

Sounds right, (at least for mustangs) the V6 didn't get a new trans until 2011 when they went with the MT-82 6 speed. :eek: They should have ditched the T-5 back in the 80's haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, most mustangs (other than the Cobra/Mach 1) are 6 bolt. There's a thread on mustangforums that a couple guys said they had 6 bolt... Regardless they make flywheels for both :)

Interesting. Have to pull a 4.0 sohc flywheel and take a look now..I've been outa the mustang world for years now..still love the old foxbodys, if I didn't have the motor I have I would have bought one:(

Back