'07 Limited - Sub works, other speakers don't | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'07 Limited - Sub works, other speakers don't

TomFree

Reaction score
City, State
Novato, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
...sigh, I've searched and I know there is probably a thread on this, but I could not find one.

I have an '07 Explorer Limited with the Nav/Sirius/6 Disk changer head unit that suddenly stopped working today. The audio is mostly OEM (have add on iPod adapter, add on bluetooth, replaced front door speakers), and has been working fine for the last year until this morning. Here are the symptoms:

- Subwoofer is the only speaker that works.
- No popping/crackling/static out of any of the other speakers. Totally silent.
- H/U appears to be fine. All controls on unit work, Steering wheel controls work, Nav works, 6 disk changer works, XM works
- Adjusting fader and balance does nothing

My gut instinct says that the amp that drives the door speakers has died. What I don't know is if there is a separate amp, or if the amp is integrated into the H/U.

Is this a common issue? Any other ideas?

You can do a trial by jumping working speakers on the amps. Hope its the wiring and connection.

You can do a trial by jumping working speakers on the amps. Hope its the wiring and connection.

I'll spend a little quality time this weekend with the truck and give that a try. I still have the original front door speakers that I can use as a test. Since all 4 door speakers went out at once, I don't have high hopes.

The good: I fixed it.
The bad: I'm not entirely sure what I did.

I disassembled the center console, popped off the trim facia, and unbolted the head unit. I slid the unit out and checked all the connectors on the back, and all seemed snug. I didn't unplug any of them as I knew if I unplugged one of the harnesses (wasn't sure which one), it would wipe out the authorization of the factory Nav. I traced all the harness wires out a bit and found one wire with an inline fuse. I couldn't see whether or not the fuse was good, so I pulled it out to inspect. The fuse was still good, so I reinstalled it.

Before putting anything back together, put the key in the ignition and turned the head unit on to see if anything had changed. Much to my surprise, I had sound again. I checked all speakers, and all were working.

I buttoned everything back up, tested again, and all was well. :scratch: Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Back