• Register Today It's free!

07 Sport Trac Tonneau Cover Keys

imdisguysd

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
Well, I have just purchased an 07 ST after happily owning a 97 XLT for ten years. Unfortunately, the keys that lock/unlock the hard tonneau cover are among the missing. I have found that the door/ignition/tailgate keys aren't the same for the cover. I see a clear label with some numbers on it near the rear cover lock. Would that perhaps be a key code that I could use to take to the dealer and get replacement keys? Does anyone have another solution perhaps? I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crap! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reminder!

I remember reading in the manual that the ignition key only opend the front lock (I think). I meant to check that out because that's the only key I have!

Does anyone else know if the ignition key unlocks the bed cover?

Charlie

The 09 that i have, the ignition key opens it all.

johnredcorn1: that may have changed in 09. After some internet research, I've found that the keys are different on the OEM hard cover. The ignition/door key also locks/unlocks the tailgate on the 07.

CODell85GT: I tried my ignition key on both the front and rear locks without success.

I guess I'll give the dealer a call and get a definitive answer to this. I'll post the results of that call for anyone who is similarly situated.

On the 08 one key fits all as well.

Okay, I spoke to the dealer...for some reason, Ford opted to deviate from the norm in 07. On the 07, the ignition/door/tailgate key was different than the tonneau cover key. They were keyed alike in the years before and after. The very helpful parts guy at Wall Ford in Salisbury, MA said if I gave him the V.I.N., he may be able to get keys based on that. So, we'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll post results later.

Thanks to all who shed some light on this problem.

Okay, I spoke to the dealer...for some reason, Ford opted to deviate from the norm in 07. On the 07, the ignition/door/tailgate key was different than the tonneau cover key. They were keyed alike in the years before and after. The very helpful parts guy at Wall Ford in Salisbury, MA said if I gave him the V.I.N., he may be able to get keys based on that. So, we'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll post results later.

So I guess Ford never updated their literature? I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I just purchased an 08 leftover with the tonneau cover. I'm having the same problems, my ignition key works on everything except the cover locks.
I thought maybe because it was a 08 leftover that the dealer had maybe switched covers. I took it back to the dealer who had no idea's on how to get the keys to work.

The 08 quick users guide says the cover is locked by a different key, not the ignition key, but the owners Manual says the ignition key locks/unlocks the cover. Go figure!

I just purchased an 08 leftover with the tonneau cover. I'm having the same problems, my ignition key works on everything except the cover locks....

I had the pleasure of speaking with a great parts guy who is actually doing some reasearch on this issue over the weekend. It looks like I might have to replace the lock cylinders with new ones at about $65 (not including installation cost). However, I have found a clear plastic sticker near the front lock under the cover that might be a key code. Check your cover for a similar sticker. It's clear, and has red numbers on it.

In any event, I'll be speaking with this parts guy again on Monday to see what he came up with. Stay tuned.....

imdisguysd - thanks for the update. I just checked the location that you mentioned and I too have a clear sticker with two sets of numbers. The top number is listed as a part number, below that is a second, 7 digit number. My guess is the first number is the part number for the lock, and the second number is the key code for the lock.

If that's the case wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just have a second key cut to fit the cover locks than to pay $65-plus install - to replace the locks?

I will be calling my dealer service department tomorrow too with the numbers I've found on my cover to see if they can come up with anything.

Well, I guess this is typical of Ford Motor Co or whoever they outsourced this cover from. My ignition key works on the bed locks! Maybe they corrected or changed this in the middle of the model year???

If that's the case wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just have a second key cut to fit the cover locks than to pay $65-plus install - to replace the locks?

Wouldn't this be the dealer's responsibility to correct? After all, they sold you a bed lid with locks without a key to lock / unlock it!

imdisguysd - thanks for the update. I just checked the location that you mentioned and I too have a clear sticker with two sets of numbers. The top number is listed as a part number, below that is a second, 7 digit number. My guess is the first number is the part number for the lock, and the second number is the key code for the lock.

Excellent! I wondered if anyone else had a similar sticker. I am hoping that the bottom number is the key code and they can simply be ordered. The first number is obviously the part number as it's preceeded by "Part No". You've confirmed that the sticker exists on other than my cover.

I'll be speaking to the parts guy at Wall's Ford in Salisbury later today and will post any updates I get regarding the key issue.

Wouldn't this be the dealer's responsibility to correct? After all, they sold you a bed lid with locks without a key to lock / unlock it!

Yeah, had I bought it new, I could complain. I bought this used and the dealer isn't really someone I'd recommend in the future.

Also, I believe, according to some places I've researched on the 'net, that Ford did change the keyed alike locks possibly in 2007 and 2008. I've got friends with pre-2007 Sport Tracs and the ignition key fits all locks.

Stay tuned....and again, thanks to everyone who took the time to give me excellent information.

I will be calling my dealer service department tomorrow too with the numbers I've found on my cover to see if they can come up with anything.

Any luck with your dealer? My parts guy seems to have run into a dead end...

I stopped by the dealer on my way home last night. He said they have run into this before. He said that in mid-year of '07 or '08 Ford switched from two different keys, to one key for all locks. He was going to try to pull up some info on how Ford or the cover supplier is addressing or fixing the problem. He was to call me with an answer. I'm still awaiting his call. I'll give him until tomorrow. If I haven't heard from him by then, I'll stop again on my way home.

I also stopped by a locksmith shop. They said they could make an imprint of the tumblers and try to match up a key, but they said the double sided Ford key is a bear to match. They felt the best idea would be to replace all the tumblers or locks and start over.

Both the Ford dealer and the locksmith said that the red numbers we found on the clear sticker next to the front lock was not the lock code. I can't believe that there isn't a simple fix for the problem. I'll keep everyone posted as to what if anything I find out.

I stopped by the dealer on my way home last night. He said they have run into this before. He said that in mid-year of '07 or '08 Ford switched from two different keys, to one key for all locks. He was going to try to pull up some info on how Ford or the cover supplier is addressing or fixing the problem. He was to call me with an answer. I'm still awaiting his call. I'll give him until tomorrow. If I haven't heard from him by then, I'll stop again on my way home.

The dealer I was working with had a similar problem locating any information.

I also stopped by a locksmith shop. They said they could make an imprint of the tumblers and try to match up a key, but they said the double sided Ford key is a bear to match.

I went back to the dealer that I purchased the ST from and they sent me off to a locksmith as well. The locksmith took the cover for one day and also took an impression of my ignition key. He has matched the locks on the cover to the ignition key. Now, one key opens all of them.

Problem solved - and I couldn't be happier!

I bought an 07 Sport Trac several months ago and the ignition fits both locks on the cover and the tailgate. This Sport Trac was made in July of 07. If it came from the FACTORY with the cover, the locks should be the same. If the dealer put it on they are not the same.

Just my $2.00 worth (inflation on my $.02) Just bought a 2007 ST and it came with a separate key for the tailgate/cover. Looking at them, they appear to be cut the same. I tried the ignition key on the other locks. It will unlock the front cover lock but not the back, and it will unlock the tailgate. Not sure why this is myself but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Just my $2.00 worth (inflation on my $.02) Just bought a 2007 ST and it came with a separate key for the tailgate/cover. Looking at them, they appear to be cut the same. I tried the ignition key on the other locks. It will unlock the front cover lock but not the back, and it will unlock the tailgate. Not sure why this is myself but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm told by reliable parts guys that they changed in mid-stream on the 2007s. For about half the model year, the keys were the same. For about half the model year, you needed a different key to open the tonneau cover.

If your ignition key fits ONE of the tonneau locks, you must have a hybrid....:D

I'm good to go now that the locksmith worked his magic. Someone asked if it was a genuine Ford cover and indeed it is...not an aftermarket installed by the dealer.

Thanks to everyone who posted in an effort to help me out. It's appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town on business. I took my 08 ST back to the dealer who changed the the cover locks to match my ignition key. All done under warranty. All locks work fine now, one key. I too want to thank all those on this site for their suggestions and help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI--

From a tour of the LAP in 2006, this was done because the parts supplier of the covers was late compared to the Tracs. So, 07s went out with differently keyed covers. By 2008, the parts and production was in sync.

Back