08/16/04 - 96 Eddie Bauer battery drain when parked, dead now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08/16/04 - 96 Eddie Bauer battery drain when parked, dead now

viz

Reaction score
City, State
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
So, I've gone through electrical hell with this EB in the last week. It started with just barely not having enough juice to turn over, and now I can't even jump it. I can run the thing around town and then park it, and it will start fine up to an hour later (longest I've tried). After three hours, I need a jump.

The battery charger I've got has a 2amp, 10amp, and 55amp "jump start" mode. The brightness of the little light bulb under the hood is directly proportionate to which one of those settings I've used. I've pulled every fuse in both the interior panel and the distro block under the hood with the battery charger connected in an effort to get that light to brighten up to normal, indicating the battery's taking a full charge - no dice. I've pulled the ignition system fuse in case the starter was shorting and drawing power, no difference. Same with the premium sound system. I've even pulled the negative terminal right after parking, and left it off all night. Absolutely no change. The only solution seems to be hooking it up in jump start mode for about 5 minutes, then kicking the truck off with all the interior electrical stuff off (DRL's, etc). It still just -barely- made it, and last night that didn't even work.

Could this just be an old, crap battery? When I connect the battery charger, the thing sparks like a thunderstorm - like something's actively drawing power as soon as I touch the battery post. Or, maybe just batteries that are -really- shot do that.

Help! Thanks....

Well, I went ahead and bought a new battery. We'll see. Thanks for... umm.. reading this. I guess.

the battery was shot... however, under normal circumstances, a batter yshouldnt ever get to the point that it completely dies... get the starting system checked... alt and the battery

Back