• Register Today It's free!

08 radio compatible with 06 car?

MrBill

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
A out-of-area friend just purchased an 08 Explorer, but wants to get the GPS system to replace his radio. I would like to put his radio in my 06 Explorer. His is part no 8L2T-18C815 and mine is part no 6L2T-18C815. I'm 95% sure the 08 radio is backwards compatible, but was wondering if anyone knows with 100% certainty that I can install this radio in my car?

I would think they would work, but with radios they consistently changing the wiring. Like 95-01 same gen two different head units. :salute: Cheers

Check the plug color, if its the same then you 'should' be good to go.
The first digit is year, second 3 model of truck, 18c815 is radio type, but double check the last part of the codes which you don't list. CA, AF, etc..

Hello - me again! I just installed the 08 radio in my 06 and must say that it was a "piece of cake", thanks to instructions that were delivered to me with the radio. If anybody is interested in seeing these instructions, I have cleaned them up somewhat and converted them to a MS Word file. Just let me know and I'll forward them to you (or post a link in this thread)!

Back