Audiophile head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audiophile head unit

Gnomesayun

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
I recently bought a used 2006 Mercury Mountaineer premier. It has the sub and amp in the back, but it didn't work. After a bit of investigation my husband and I found out that the head unit has been replaced at some point with an oem radio that does not have the sub plug in the back. We found another head unit on eBay with the compatible plug in for the sub, donor vehicle being a mountaineer 2008. After hitting click I did some research on the part number (8l2t-18c815-bg) I discovered that they warn of the compatibility being only for 08 and 09 explorer/mountaineers. I understand that the antenna plug may be different. My question is can the antenna just be re wired/harness to be compatible or is the software not compatible with my vehicle?

If the antenna is different, I'm sure you can just use a Walmart antenna adapter. They're a universal style adapter and costs about $20. Don't stress too much about it.

My husband is going to put it in tonight, I will let you know how it turned out. I just can't wrap my head around why someone downgraded the head unit in it. It even has the optional aftermarket Sirius put in.

It worked almost as plug and play, just needed the antenna adapter as DjDom mentioned. It now works as intended. The steering wheel media button and seek buttons didn't work right and now they do. The radio doesn't shut off until a door is opened. And of course the speakers now have full range, sounds pretty good for a stock system.

Back