• Register Today It's free!

'08 XLT (4.0 SOHC) Coolant Leak?

nramacciato

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
A family member had noticed that it looked wet in a specifc part of my engine while we were taking a look and refilling the coolant. I had noticed something similar a while back, but I was foolish and thought it was just rain. I think that was a mistake :p I use 50/50 coolant and the level always seems to decrease after driving for a few days.

This is the general area of the leak.

yCEDPYV.jpg

OcpjgFE.jpg

You can see how it's reflecting from my flash. With this photo, you can't really see it well, but there are two little puddles. I used a paper towel to soak some up and it's orange, which is the color of my coolant.

iMHKmjq.jpg

iivhpy4.jpg

Can anyone let me know what the heck is going on? Can I fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 bucks will get you a doorman one off amazon. Lots of guys don't like them but mine is 4 years old, and been off 3 times (I suggest saving yourself the time and swap the thermostat while your in there) and is still going strong.

Do a search; tons of how-to videos/directions.
IMO, do the whole assembly while your taking it all a part anyway. (upper/lower housing, thermostat, sensor and all gaskets/o-rings) I even replaced the small heater hose coming off the lower housing. DO NOT over tighten any of the bolts; its all plastic. Personally, I like Motorcraft, but there is a Dorman kits with everything except the sensor for half the price. Easy, just take your time.

Orange? ??? flush the system ASAP you've been using the wrong coolent. should be the green stuff!

You're lucky yours started with a slow leak mine exploded at the the seam and left me on the side of the road. almost roasted the engine too

Got the Dorman part off rockauto.com that comes with the thermostat in it. Bought a new sensor too since I figured the o ring would be damaged (it was!) just make sure you're very careful not to loose the clip that holds the thermostat in... it'll cost you 15 bucks at the dealer if you can't wait to order one online.

Overall the repair was easy and took maybe half an hour. you can make it easier by disconnecting a bunch of stuff but it's not required

Green is incorrect. Motorcraft coolant is light gold and may turn darker with age and have a slight orange tint.

Yikes. I will not make the mistake of buying the wrong type of coolant again. I had no idea, honestly.. I was just using the same stuff my father did when he owned it.

Update: I was driving with the family today and noticed that at random moments, you could see a bit of steam / smoke making it's way out from under the hood. It's still in the same place, but I think it's dripping now, as I also noticed drops on the ground. I got it checked out by a mechanic and was quoted $350 for it..

The rock auto dorman one comes with a thermostat now. Its running around 50 bucks.

I'm looking at a "Dorman 902-860 Thermostat Housing Kit" on Amazon for about $50. Is this the right part? On RockAuto, there's a few different results.. so I'm just trying to get a general idea.

You should stop driving it until it's fixed.

If you notice that all of a sudden your exploder sounds like a dump truck taking off that's the 1st indicator your coolent is getting low....I believe that's the electric fan clutch kicking in cause the engine is getting too hot. you won't see a change on the temp gauge until it's too late

That's what happened to me anyways.

@Tech By Trade - Thanks!

@Gorb - I haven't noticed the fan kicking into high speed at all, honestly. Haven't noticed anything significant besides the steam coming from under the hood. Rest assured, I will take your advice as this seems to be a major concern of mine.

A family member had noticed that it looked wet in a specifc part of my engine while we were taking a look and refilling the coolant. I had noticed something similar a while back, but I was foolish and thought it was just rain. I think that was a mistake :p I use 50/50 coolant and the level always seems to decrease after driving for a few days.

This is the general area of the leak.

yCEDPYV.jpg

OcpjgFE.jpg

You can see how it's reflecting from my flash. With this photo, you can't really see it well, but there are two little puddles. I used a paper towel to soak some up and it's orange, which is the color of my coolant.

iMHKmjq.jpg

iivhpy4.jpg

Can anyone let me know what the heck is going on? Can I fix this?
Probably your thermostat housing. It's made of multiple pieces of plastic. My 4.0 Explorer just did the same.

Probably your thermostat housing. It's made of multiple pieces of plastic. My 4.0 Explorer just did the same.
Get the aluminum thermostat housing off of eBay, get an oem Motorcraft thermostat, and never look back. You won't ever have to touch it again if you do that.

Back