1/4 panel reapir help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 panel reapir help.

lmatt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4dr EB
Hello, my father has just purchased a 94 explorer. Only 84,000 documented miles. One problem, there is rust showing on the left quarter panel just in front of the fuel filler door. What is the best way to fix this, so it will last? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being very general you cut out rusted metal, weld in new metal. Finish w/ body fill, prime & paint.

Wasnt sure on how much cutting you could do and welding without warping the area surrounding the cut-out area?

Wasnt sure on how much cutting you could do and welding without warping the area surrounding the cut-out area?

To prevent warping when dealing with body metal, or almost any sheet metal, you clamp it in, and weld in opposite locations. You don't do a continuous weld, because the metal will get so hot, but you take time and weld in opposite locations. Like how you tighten lug nuts, in a opposite rotating matter. Gives sufficient time for the metal to cool and thus no warping!

There's a member on the board who's handle is Monmix, he's the expert on body work if I recall right. He'll have some good answers and suggestions as always.

How bad is the rust though? Can you take a picture and post it? If it's not to bad, you might be able to stop it and just bandaid it so it doesn't spread. Keep us updated.

I usually cut out bad metal w/ a cutting wheel.
When you put the new metal in tack weld it in with a few inches between welds, then go back and weld in between your first welds. Basically you will be performing a series of tack welds all around the new metal, moving from where you just welded to a "cold" spot of the area, welding there, and so on until it is welded all around. Take your time and warping will be minimal.
Then grind it down so that the welds are smooth. fill the area w/ filler, block it, prime it, block it again (this will reveal any low spots in the area). repeat this until you get the desired base you want to paint on. Wipe everything down with a tack cloth, tape off the area to be painted, paint, clear coat, buff.
When priming use an etching, high build up primer. That's how I've done all my body repairs that I wanted to last.
If you just want a quick temporary/permanent fix you can grind off as much rust as you can, then spray the exposed metal with a rust killer and fill with fiberglass. Then finish off with filler, primer, blocking, paint. I've had the quick fix last for a long time, and I have also had it fall out in a year. It's never as good as replacing the metal.
Good luck, and if I have forgotten anything someone else chime in.

Back