10 blade fan to be replaced with 9 blade fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10 blade fan to be replaced with 9 blade fan

G

geoph1986

Hey everyone,
I was reading a thread, and buddy mentioned that his cooling fan was full of cracks and he wanted to upgrade to an electric fan. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked mine, just to see, and it too is all full of cracks. I have a 10 blade fan on my X, and my friend who has a bunch of new in package X parts (he totaled his before he could use the parts), has a 9 blade fan that he's willing to donate to my cause. Can I/has anyone use(d) the 9 blade fan instead with no ill effects? My AC doesn't work, and I don't plan on fixing it. I may use the compressor for OBA at a later date. The only towing I do/plan to do, is pulling a 16ft fishing boat, and the occasional helping a friend save on a tow bill. I also don't do any "hardcore" wheeling, I do go off road a bit but it's mainly to get to camping/fishing/hunting areas, and the X doesn't get pushed that hard. What do you guys think about using the 9 blade fan? My other thought was to use a universal style flex fan, has anyone used these?

EDIT: My Hollander interchange just says that the 10 blade fan is for the "supercooling" option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are in Canada though, so I can't imagine it's going to get warm enough there to render a 10 blade fan necessary.

Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean that it's brutally cold all the time. I don't drive a dogsled to work, and in the summertime my igloo does melt, just ask the polar bear next door. lol.
Seriously though, where I'm at, in the summer and into the early fall, it's not uncommon to get temperatures in the low to mid 90's. I don't think there will be a big difference between the two fans, I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this.

Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean that it's brutally cold all the time. I don't drive a dogsled to work, and in the summertime my igloo does melt, just ask the polar bear next door. lol.
Seriously though, where I'm at, in the summer and into the early fall, it's not uncommon to get temperatures in the low to mid 90's. I don't think there will be a big difference between the two fans, I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this.

Yea I knew it still got warm, but it doesn't get super hot like Arizona. It gets about that warm here in Indiana. I do know that everywhere I've ever looked to buy a fan just has the 9 blade one. I've never seen a 10 blade for sale. And I'm running a 9 blade in mine and it's seen probably up to 100 degrees without problems.

Thanks Willard,
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Yea, it never get's Arizona type hot here, but it gets hot enough. I'm also glad you have a sense on humor. I can't help being a little sarcastic when people think that just because you're located in Canada it's winter 365/yr. I'm not saying that you think that. When I lived in northern MN a few years back, people would ask where I was from, I'd tell them, and a lot of them would say stuff like "aren't you glad you came someplace warmer", or "what season is it up there". I constantly has to explain that where I was from was only a 3 1/2 hr drive, and the weather was the same...then I'd end my sentence with a Canadian "EH".

Back