100k mile maintinence/ long driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

100k mile maintinence/ long driving

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Alright guys I am about to be driving to Miami Florida. I'm going to school there for air traffic control for 2 years. My apartment where I'm going to be living does not allow me to work on the truck in the parking lot, so I want to get stuff done before I leave. Basically doing some preventative maintinence while I still have a driveway. Searching through posts and other things, I think I have found alot of the stuff I should do, but please fill in if you think I need to do anything else.

This stuff has been done in the past week. Thanks to Chris(boominXplorer) for the help.

-Replaced spark plugs and wires.... Motorcraft wires Platinum Plugs
-Oil changed, switched to Valvoline Synthetic blend with motorcraft oil filter.
-1 can of Seafoam through the IAC.
-Used 2 bottles of STP fuel injector cleaner.
- Flush'ed and recharged A/C system.
-Cleaned KKM air filter and re-oil'ed
-Cleaned MAF sensor
-Replaced lighting with Clear Corners and Silverstars all around.

On a side note: I noticed a def. difference in performance of my motor after doing all this stuff. It idles better and even seems more responsive. It would be a good idea for anyone to do this.

Stuff done in the past.

95k Miles

-replaced brakes around whole ex with ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors.

right around 88-90k miles

-Transmission fluid was flushed and changed
-New Starter put in
-Alternator replaced
-Serpentine Belt replaced
-Exhaust system replaced with dual exhaust setup
-KKM Air Filter Installed
-3 inch body 2 inch torsion shackles and 33 inch tires added
-4.56 Gears Installed
-Alignment
-Shift Kit Installed

That is all that has really been done since I have had the truck I am the second owner. Is there anything major I'm missing that should be done at 100k miles?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a Coolant Flush, and replacement of all cooling system hoses? Differential fluids replaced, spare tire checked, brake fluid flushed/replaced are a few suggestions. You might want to change the idler pulley now before the bearing goes out of it when your down in Florida...

No spare tire.
but ya I think I should do the brake fluid and the diff.

Is the idler pulley similar to the tensioner pulley? I just had to replace that a few months ago. If it's not too difficult I'll prob do that too.

I'm not sure how to do the all the coolant stuff , but I will search on here and see.

Thanks man

I would definitely replace the dif fluid.

The idler pulley is similar to the tensioner pulley except is easier to change and cheaper; cheap insurance.

Good luck .....

This is the ideal time to check your ball joints, upper AND lower on both sides.

Back