• Register Today It's free!

100K Spark Plugs?

sharpshooter73

Reaction score
City, State
God's Green Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS 4X4
I'm still getting acquainted to Ford products and as some of you know from my other posts, I just bought an '02 Explorer 4.0 with 60K on it. I was going through the owners manual and it says to change the plugs at 100K. Is this true? I'm old school and always changed my plugs and wires every 30K. Should I really wait another 40K miles before changing plugs and wires??

I don't know if the 2002 is as hard to change plugs as my 99, but I'd change them if possible. These new 100k plugs do last longer, but those hard electrodes don't flow electricity as well as normal plugs. Aluminum electrodes are the best potentially available(Silverstone), but they are over $6 each, and I don't know how long they will last.

Search around here, I think there is a plug which most here like. I am not sure which it was. LOL,
Don

Just remember that if you are following Fords recommended maintenance plan, those plugs will have been removed and inspected twice by the time you reach 100K miles. If they are being removed for the first time at 100K miles, they may be a bit difficult to remove.

Back