'11 Explorer Clicking Noise with Heater | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'11 Explorer Clicking Noise with Heater

JayD

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
With the cold weather this winter I also got a clicking sound from behind the center dash. I've read that it may be one of the actuator components. There are 20 clicks when I turn the climate control on and again every 10-15 minutes.

Both the heater and A/C still work, but not on 'Auto' climate, I have to manually adjust the temperature.

I want to get it fixed but have the worst service from my local Ford dealership. Any recommendations of a good place to have this fixed? Any idea of the range of price?

Frustrated with patronizing dealership service men.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the cold weather this winter I also got a clicking sound from behind the center dash. I've read that it may be one of the actuator components. There are 20 clicks when I turn the climate control on and again every 10-15 minutes.

Both the heater and A/C still work, but not on 'Auto' climate, I have to manually adjust the temperature.

I want to get it fixed but have the worst service from my local Ford dealership. Any recommendations of a good place to have this fixed? Any idea of the range of price?

Frustrated with patronizing dealership service men.
Welcome to the Forum JayD.:wavey:
One thing that might help the members answering your concerns is to add the model you have to your profile so that it shows in the left margin. There are 4 models and each can have its own issues.
Do you get the clicking with the Auto mode set to off? IF you only get it in the Auto mode then perhaps the clicking you here is the part of the system that activates in 'Auto' and it is not doing so successfully. Sound like a trip to the dealer. You can take it to any Ford dealer you want. Is the vehicle still within the factory warranty period?

Peter

Good call re: model to profile Peter. I have a 2011 FORD TRUCK EXPL 4D 4X4 XLT.

The clicking happens with and without Auto being on. Auto doesn't appear to be working, the light illuminates but the heater does not get warm (it's been between -10 and 20 here lately) and it used to.

Good call re: model to profile Peter. I have a 2011 FORD TRUCK EXPL 4D 4X4 XLT.

The clicking happens with and without Auto being on. Auto doesn't appear to be working, the light illuminates but the heater does not get warm (it's been between -10 and 20 here lately) and it used to.
There is a TSB on the 2011 model that has to do with the blend door sticking but it doesn't sound like that is what you are experiencing. That issue usually results in cold air coming from one vent and warm air from another. At least you can work it manually.
Sounds like something is sticking. Hard to say what the cost would be to fix it. Usually it is parts (if needed) and labour charges. Doesn't sound like something you could fix yourself unless you can actually pin point where the problem is.
As I mentioned before, you can take it to any Ford dealer you want, if you have that choice.

Peter

My Explorer is a few weeks outside of the warranty :(

Do Ford dealerships typically charge me to evaluate the issue? I'm thinking about just springing for an extended warranty to cover this and future issues.

My Explorer is a few weeks outside of the warranty :(

Do Ford dealerships typically charge me to evaluate the issue? I'm thinking about just springing for an extended warranty to cover this and future issues.
Since you are now out of the factory warranty, the ESP you buy will cost more since it is now considered a 'used vehicle'. I was told that if I wanted to extend my 48 month ESP, I had to do it before the factory warranty ran out or the cost would be higher.
I am sure that any dealer will charge at least the labour fee to look at the problem.

Peter

...I want to get it fixed but have the worst service from my local Ford dealership. Any recommendations of a good place to have this fixed? Any idea of the range of price?...

Hi JayD,

As Peter suggested, you can visit any Ford dealership you'd prefer to go to for service. Additionally, they can provide you with an estimate for any needed repairs. Once you get a diagnosis, touch base with me via PM and I'll be able to step in and assist, if needed.

Crystal

Back