'11 Explorer Revealed!! | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'11 Explorer Revealed!!

The unibody part doesn't make it a car so much as does the FWD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its really a CUV, like the escape now. With the new explorer, the escape can be added to this forum. They have a lot more in common now (5th gen), than they did before.

To remind all of you the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been unibody for a while. And its still an SUV

ehhhhh buzzer goes off wrong suv is a body on frame and is rwd or awd, otherwise its a crossover/minivan

The GC has one of the 2. Honestly what's wrong with the unibody thing?
Agreed, I do wish they would have kept the Explorer a RWD.

They should have kept it rear wheel drive.

Only reason the explorer wasn't phased out was cause of this...
salesl.jpg

Who doesn't know what an explorer is? If it wasn't for those numbers, the explorer would have been phased out already.

beleive it or not the explorer is most commonly know for a big mistake ford made with cheep firestones.....everybody remember the incident i am talking bout. lol. it shoudl be unibody because its meant for a little offroading. its compared to the jeep wrangler the jeep cherokee and suck should be a frame over body for the amount of stress a off road vehicle goes thru. with unibody youll bend the body way to much and the gaps will never be correct afterwards. they are truely turing into soccer mom vehicles as suppose to being an suv which it was meant to be i.e the original suv the international scout of the 50 and the bronco of the 60s

beleive it or not the explorer is most commonly know for a big mistake ford made with cheep firestones.....everybody remember the incident i am talking bout. lol. it shoudl be unibody because its meant for a little offroading. its compared to the jeep wrangler the jeep cherokee and suck should be a frame over body for the amount of stress a off road vehicle goes thru. with unibody youll bend the body way to much and the gaps will never be correct afterwards. they are truely turing into soccer mom vehicles as suppose to being an suv which it was meant to be i.e the original suv the international scout of the 50 and the bronco of the 60s

Maybe you should do a once over before you submit your posts. It's hard to understand what you're trying to say. And what does frame over body mean? That sounds like a terrible design to me. :p:

And a unibody if done correctly won't flex nearly as much as some might think. I could lift my Taurus from the rear of the subframe and the doors shut just like when it was sitting on the ground.
Really- technology has come a LONG way since 1991. Time for fresh thinking...

And yeah- that Jeep frame over body design is horrible- the cupholders have been rendered useless!

Best solution there- leave it in there, grab a shovel, and fill that hole back up. :D

I'm sure body stress at max axle articulation is a great concern to the majority of Explorer owners...

I've got a body on frame "truck" SUV that can't go any further than a unibody Explorer could, off road. And just so you know, there're many body on frame SUVs that still develope stress fractures on their bodies during offroading. My previous Xterra was one of those.

And a unibody if done correctly won't flex nearly as much as some might think. I could lift my Taurus from the rear of the subframe and the doors shut just like when it was sitting on the ground.
Really- technology has come a LONG way since 1991. Time for fresh thinking...

And yeah- that Jeep frame over body design is horrible- the cupholders have been rendered useless!

Best colution there- leave it in there, grab a shovel, and fill that hole back up. :D

Think about this---How many Fox body mustang are out with anywhere for 600-900 horses? They are ALL unibody. They put subframe connectors on them. So, who's to say one can't make them for the new Explorer?

Here's a tour...
and...
Go to about :19 seconds... I can't believe a unibody would be called a truck.

this car looks way to much like a freestyle to be an explorer.

edge doors, freestyle body, and a new hood, grill, and power train.

Oh my god they use words like "truck, muscular, ripped"

the interior is not bad, I like the myfordtouch, variable terrain control, and interior styling, just the looks and power, i4 really?, are not the greatest.

Ford just needs to build a new Bronco, focus on simplicity and functionality, throw fuel economy out the window, and build a low price yet durable TRUCK for the rest of us.

Looks a whole lot like a SHO.

Ive got to admit for my uses, the 2011 is disapointing. No i dont always need five seats, no i dont always need a truck frame, no i dont always need a v8, no i dont always need AWD. However to be frank, if i wanted a car that had AWD that does good gas mileage, i would of bought a Subie Outback, still might to use as a DD. However, i bought my 98 x because sometimes i do go offroad, i also live up in the mtns so winter can get entertaining. I bought it because i can put a dent in it and either pop it out or not worry about it, not spend 1500 bucks for a new plastic body peice. I bought it because i do tow occassionally. I bought it because it felt right to me. Just looking at the 2011 does not feel right to me. May be a bit more upscale than some but.....sorry....ill stick with the tried and true. Perhaps the next gen Explorer will appeal to me but I am not going to rush out and replace Loki with one. My 2 cents however, your mileage may vary.

Oh one last thing. FWD? Are you kidding me? My Saturn ION was FWD. It was useless in my neck of the woods with the elements. Handled nice but useless in bad weather

The new Explorer is a crossover/tall flex/long edge! It is based on the Flex/Taurus platform. I have owned a 97 X ,98 X, and now a 01 Sport Trac. I love the full frame and truck like ride. I do go off road to the beach and down some trails on occasion. It's a truck. It hauls, tows, off roads, carries myself, my dogs and whatever else and cleans up easy. It's my truck and I wouldn't trade it for a new one if you gave it to me! the 2011 Explorer is a joke. Bring back the REAL Explorers, to hell with gas mileage!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i saw the commercial for the edge and i swear i thought it was the 2011 explo. WTF?

Back