FloridaState

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4x4
38435_426247331600_381809751600_5115040_7780775_n.jpg

From the Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/FordExplorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its better looking than I thought. I'm going to have to check it out in person before making anymore judgement.

The new explorer!

bilde

2011_ford_explorer_2_cd_gallery.jpg

Like it or not? Post your thoughts. I think its good looking. Not the best Looking Explorer Ever, but its nice.

Yeah I like it. But it's definitely more crossover and car-like, not a truck-type of SUV. Sucks, but that's what consumers want.

I'm anxious to see what kind, if any, offroad capability it has. And what trims/engines will be offered. I wonder if they're keeping the XLT, Eddie Bauer, etc. or if they'll move to SE, SEL and all that.

The best thing about this new X is the ecoboost engine. Thats the only reason I may by one. I'll be replacing my X with one of these eventually.

Ugh - unfortunately, it followed the trend of using small/short windows to make it look more "sleek". Why cant form follow function? It's a freaking window, why make it small? :thumbdwn:

Explorer went from a rugged SUV :thumbsup: to a stylish street SUV.

When can I see one on the lot?

This Explorer must've been helicoptered in to the area :p:
ford_100317142_m.jpg

I'd say green screen, but not 100% sure on that. The picture above is the best I've seen so far.

Im still not a fan:roll: of CUV's. If you want an real man suv now i guess we will all be stuck buying trucks and just throwing a shell on them to protect our gear from the elements. At least we still have the Ranger... for now right!!

2010_ford_ranger_image_003.jpg

Bring this ranger to the US, I'll buy this first :)

I too was pleasantly surprised by the 2011 Explorer, has more ground clearance than I thought they were going to give it. Top of my list now for unfortunate aspects is that it seems those wheels are the smallest ones possible, if not extremely close to smallest (see brake calipers on mountain picture).
Also, the profile picture on motor authority makes it look like the 2011 Explorer took style cues from Toyota, which I don't like, but maybe it'll trick some fools into buying American.
And I still think they stole the steering wheel of a Bimmer.
Not to mention, I completely agree about the Wildtrak Ranger.

Why does wheel diameter matter?

In general, smaller you can go with wheels on trucks, the easier it is to fit offroad tires with minimal to lift.

However, I completely forgot that the thing is FWD and has a 3.16 axle ratio, so it's back to dragging it through the mud with a 6.2L Raptor.

A lot of resemblance to the Range Rover right down to the traction management system, more so than to any existing Ford vehicle. BTW, its also a uni-body.

Range_Rover.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The All New Ford Explorer

Here it is! The official reveal of the 2011 Explorer!

Officially, the reveal is at 11:30 EDT, but watch this video for a sneak peak!

The 2011 Explorer Reveal

Back