130k maintenance, PTU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

130k maintenance, PTU

onestout

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
I'm at 130k and it was time for an oil change so I thought I would change my PTU fluid also. I decided to add the drain plug like I have seen a couple videos on. When I drained the PTU the fluid coming out looked fine so not a major concern. Couple notes on the drain plug, I just drilled the hole between the gears where I could get the drill to the easiest without dropping the exhaust, plenty of room for this about anywhere along the casting. Do not use the drain plug like I saw someone use in one of the videos that uses the copper gasket to seal, the outside of the casting surface does not have a good enough finish to seal against, use a pipe plug(in his video he says he does this all the time then he put silicone on the washer to actually get it to seal, lol).

While I was under there I was going to change the fluid in the rear diff but man that thing is buried....and I see that both axle seals are leaking so I am just going to take it in next week and let the shop fix it. it was getting a little wet but nothing has been dripping on the ground yet.

I also need to check out the rear AC, wife said it felt warm the other day when we had it in (we rarely use the rear AC), seems odd that just the rear AC wouldn't be working when the everything else is fine so I'll have the shop check that out also.

Rear AC is fine so I didn't do anything there. I saw my rear axle was leaking from both seals so I took it into the shop it was also howling pretty bad so I was guessing the other front wheel bearing was going out, I already replaced the drivers side (I did that one myself and was not going to do the other side after that). Both front wheel bearings failed very differently, drivers side I could feel grind on right hand turns, passenger side just howled and it didn't matter if turning or not. They dropped the rear out of the Ex to make it easier to work on then did a 4 wheel alignment when done, it has never had an alignment so not a bad idea anyway. New wheel bearing, new rear seals, cleaned out the rear diff and new fluid, all ford parts and the total was about $650....better than me working on it.

Back