• Register Today It's free!

1354 Swap

Faisty

Reaction score
City, State
Estherville, Ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hi all. I have a 91 X with a 5-speed. It's an EB edition. I've never seen another one(with a 5 speed that is) . Anyway my 4 wheel drive dosen't work and I really don't want to go though replaceing the unreliable electric motor. I was reading an old post about the swap but It didn't really detail what all I would need Yokes, drive shafts, etc. can anyone tell me in short detail what all I will need. Is the 1354 a stronger transfer case. I won't be rock crawling any day soon but I plan on doing Some off-roading with it. any and all help would be GREATLY APPECIATED. Thanks alot. :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You already have the 1354. You just have the electric shift version of it.

You can save you self abit of money by just cleaning the shift motor. 99% of the time it's just dirty. There's a thread on how to take it apart and clean it...the push button system is actually pretty darn reliable.

You already have a 1354. Only difference is yours is electric and they make a manual shift one. The manual shift t-case is bolt in for you. Just gotta cut a hole in the floor (or buy a new tranny hump plate with the hole already in it).

I have heard that the electric is reliable, but I'm just old fashioned. I had my 83 full size Bronco for about 7 years and never had a problem. thats the main reason for wanting todo this swap. I'm not afraid of cutting holes. So all I need is the manual case and shifter/linkage right? Probablu from a bronco II I would guess? thanks for all the info. I'll have to start looking for one.

Back