• Register Today It's free!

14 piu heater fan issues

lyn raven

Reaction score
City, State
delton
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 piu 3.5 eb
so first actual post but has anyone here had an issue where the fan speed starts out good(11 to 12 mph) and over say 10 to 20 mins on high the fan speed drops and consistantly drops untill its putting out under 3mph of air speed out of the vents? iv kinda had some ideas in to it blower motor itself blower motor resister or some random electronic issue as sometimes when i turn it off of high to the lowest setting sometimes it stays running at fullish tilt for between 30s to a min before it drops to that low setting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id doubt but do these have a failsafe when they gwt too hot to drop down? and not sure what tech is on these, so is it stilk comanding full air? (assuming its all computerized now, not like the 2nd gens)

I don't believe I've ever read about the fan speed measured in mph in the forum. Is it possible that the reason the fan slows down is that the set temperature has been reached? Have you tried decreasing or increasing the temperature to see if the fan reacts to it?

Peter

I don't believe I've ever read about the fan speed measured in mph in the forum. Is it possible that the reason the fan slows down is that the set temperature has been reached? Have you tried decreasing or increasing the temperature to see if the fan reacts to it?

Peter
i have yes tried messing with the fan speed knob aswell. thankfully i actually dont have a set temp persay its more akin to older vehicles a simple low-high setting. i figured to actually measure the wind speed out of it as i was instrested how much it dropped when it still was in the high setting. i have noticed tho it tends to start to drop after around 10 mins of use. atleast before lastnight i could get it to kinda reset by turning off and back on the climate control however atleast as of lastnight that did not do much of anything

Checked the cabin filter for blockage ? My 2014 PIU is low mileage and the fan works perfectly. The fan speed stays the same no matter what the cabin temperature is set to, and stays the same after everything warms up on longer drives.

I would suspect wire harness issues causing excessive resistance in the wires, or a faulty fan motor. Locate the fan wire harness and any relays that may be used in the Explorer and feel their relative temperatures when first turned ON, and when the symptoms begin. Also feel the backside of the fan speed switch. Excessive resistance in an electrical circuit generates lots of heat.

Checked the cabin filter for blockage ? My 2014 PIU is low mileage and the fan works perfectly. The fan speed stays the same no matter what the cabin temperature is set to, and stays the same after everything warms up on longer drives.

I would suspect wire harness issues causing excessive resistance in the wires, or a faulty fan motor. Locate the fan wire harness and any relays that may be used in the Explorer and feel their relative temperatures when first turned ON, and when the symptoms begin. Also feel the backside of the fan speed switch. Excessive resistance in an electrical circuit generates lots of heat.
it was the blower motor actually after smacking it with a set of pliers to coax a little life in it i had just replaced it today

Back