• Register Today It's free!

Blower motor issues

BaldRick

Reaction score
City, State
Blountville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer limite
2014 explorer limited. Recently the blower fan started operating only on high speed. Today I replaced the blower motor resistor . It seems every search said that was the issue. Problem now is after installing the new resistor the fan doesnt work at all. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 explorer limited. Recently the blower fan started operating only on high speed. Today I replaced the blower motor resistor . It seems every search said that was the issue. Problem now is after installing the new resistor the fan doesnt work at all. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you checked the fuse?

Peter

I will do that tomorrow. My back and neck couldn't take anymore today.

For the record. Just put the old resistor back in and fan blows high only

For the record. Just put the old resistor back in and fan blows high only
Are you able to check the 'new' one with a meter to see if it's good?

Peter

Just took the first one back and got a different one. Same result. No fan at all.

Just took the first one back and got a different one. Same result. No fan at all.
Perhaps that isn't the issue then. I'm guessing that you don't have a meter to read the resistance of the original resistor. When the blower was running at full speed, were you able to shut it OFF?

Peter

I'm going to make a few assumptions in this post, so could be wrong...

These aren't really "resistors", uses a transistor based module and resistance alone can't be effectively measured on the module pins.

I'm assuming you have the continuously variable dial for fan speed control and are suggesting the fan spins at full RPM no matter what position the dial is in, NOT that the fan stops working if the dial isn't set to full speed? If that is the case, yes it's probably the speed control module, that the transistor is shorting out internally.

If that is not the case, rather the fan stops working at less than the dial full speed position, I'd wonder if your dash HVAC module has a fault.

Either way, my best guess about the TWO replacements not working at all, is they are defective.

It's definitely not a relay because a single relay is present in the power path for any speed, so bad relay would mean high speed wouldn't work either with the old speed controller. See attached wiring diagram

2014 Blower Motor Circuit.png

No dials to control fan. There are plus and minus buttons below the touch screen and of course on the touch screen when climate control is selected to be on screen. The fan blows only on high speed no matter where the speed level indicator is on the touch screen. The even wierder thing is that if you turn the climate control system OFF, the fan continues to blow high speed.

Perhaps that isn't the issue then. I'm guessing that you don't have a meter to read the resistance of the original resistor. When the blower was running at full speed, were you able to shut it OFF?

Peter
No the fan runs full speed even if you turn the climate control system off.

I'm still suspecting your speed control module failed and the two new are defective (or else, they should also run at full speed if there was some other fault). I realize two defective in a row seems unlikely but something is weird, that with the HVAC shut off, the relay shouldn't be energized to let power get to the blower at all, unless the wiring diagram I posted previously is for the lower trim manual HVAC (aka EMTC instead of DATC). Only the one diagram is provided.

I've attached the 2014 workshop manual, climate control section for automatic climate control (aka DATC), though some of the diagnosis in it comes from pulling diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool, so if you can't do that, follow both forks on what to look at next in the manual.

You might want to look at page 71, section titled "The Blower Motor Does Not Operate Correctly"

Attachments

• 2014 DATC Climate Control.pdf
    658 KB · Views: 590

Thanks, and I do have a code reader. It reads OBDIi codes, if that's what you are referring to.

An OBD2-only code reader will not pull these. A scanner capable of Ford-specific codes might, or there is probably an HVAC self diagnostic accessed through some dash control button sequence, for example this was it on the 4th gen Explorers, though some other Fords use the off-Defrost button combo instead of Off-Floor:

Ok this should wrap this thread up. As my luck would have it apparently I did get two bad resistors back to back from NAPA. I bit the bullet and ordered the fan control module (notice they didn't call it a resistor) from Ford. Plugged it in and boom all is good. It did cost 2.5 times more than the other ones but hey it worked. Thanks to all who helped.

Thank you for reporting back. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Peter

Back